So, what would you do?

mamacmil

I am looking at an upgrade, but can't do everything at once. Currently, I have quintets and a KSW-12. What I would like this to be is RF-3s, RC-3, and RS-3s with an SVS 20-39CS matched with Samson 700. Hmm, considering the fact that I don't have a ton of money to spend, I need to decide what I'd like to upgrade this year, and what needs to wait til next. After checking prices, I could get the RF-3s and RC-3 (leaving the quintets as rears for now) for about the same money as the SVS. Which would you do first? (By the way, the room is 20x14,my receiver is an Onkyo TX-DS595, and the system gets used 80-90% for movies vs 10-20% for music.) Thanks for the input.

This message has been edited by mamacmil on 02-04-2002 at 12:57 AM

After thinking about it a little more (and getting into an argument with the Missus about the cost) I'm starting to lean towards doing the sub first...that way, I can sell the KSW to help finance the SVS. With the quintets I wouldn't have that option unless I got the RS-3s right away. So, the new question is, does it make sense to run an SVS 20-39 with quintets?

This message has been edited by mamacmil on 02-05-2002 at 04:43 PM

I think the SVS would still go great with the Quintets. The SVS is not "boomy" so you shouldn't have to worry about it overpowering the Quintets. What size is your room?

BTW the R*-3 plus SVS will rock. I used to have a setup like that and it was great. I still have the RC-3 if you are in the DFW area I will cut you a deal. I don't want to ship it though.

------------------

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

My Home Theater Page

Brain MUST Be Engaged Before Shifting Into EAR!

=======================================

Mamacmil, strange as it may seem, the two most important speakers in an HT set up is the front center and the subwoofer. If it were me, and your lovely wife was a consideration, I would buy an RF-3 (Not RC-#!) and put it in the CENTER. Then I would buy the SVS CS, but not the Samson amp. Pick up an inexpensive used stereo or power amp and wire it up to get about 350 watts at 4 ohms. You will have much better sound sooner than any other combination mentioned.

Sell the KSW to help fund the deal and make your wife smile! Then, when she is delighted with your skill and accuracy, make a plea for additional RF-3's to flank the RF-3 Center.

Let the Quintets do what they can for you as long as they can... and then pick up another pair of RF-3's for surrounds (RF-3's not RS-3's) and use the sale of the Quints as part of the funding.

The Klipsch Building Program is looking forward to your upgrade path... cwm32.gif HornEd

=======================================

"Where Klipsch Legends Cavort Six Ways!"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30's: Left Main, Center Main, Right Main

SB-2's: L & R Front Effects on 5' sand filled columns

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30's: Left Surround, Rear Effects, Right Surround

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra subs, Samson Megawatt Amp

KLIPSCH SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

Toshiba Pro Scan 6200, Toshiba Pro 6-head SVHS W808

and such... Tweakin' On!

Music Respite System: vintage Cornwall based

Klipsched Class "A" Motorhome: On the road testing...