200 Watt Quintet 2 way speakers

newlydead

This may be a bit of a stupid question but I am far from a speaker genius so I am going to ask anyways. I bought the quintet speakers with the tractix horn. Here is the link to see what I bought.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=ViewItem&item=1313875117

Now my question is this. What do I need to buy to hook the speakers up to so they will play? I was expecting some kind of volume knob or something on the speakers but there is none. Do I need the subwoofer or will the KSC-C1 center channel work? Or will both work? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

newlydead,

Welcome to the Klipsch Family. You would have gotten a quicker response had you posted in the ProMedia Forum, a bit lower down. Here's how I've connected similar speakers to use with my PC.

First, Quintets have no internal amplification. They require external amplification via a receiver or seperate Amp. You'll need an audio cable with mini plug on one end to connect to your sound, with an "Y" adapter that allows the mini connector to connect to the L/R RCA Input Jacks on your receiver or amp. (Radio Shack has Mini Cable and Mini to RCA "Y" adapters. Tell them you want to connect your sound card output to a receiver's RCA Input Jacks.) Then connect speaker wire (your choice, from the receiver or amp to the Quintets. A receiver is a good choice because you have an additional volume control, bass & treble controls, as well as the features your internal sound card provides. If using an amp, you sound cards software interface must be used to control volume, bass & treble controls. Using or adding a Center Channel will require a receiver that has Surround Sound capabilities, unless you have an old 2 channel with center speaker out jack. Decide up front if you want these capabilities and purchase accordingly. If you only have the two Quintet speakers, any available two channel receiver or amp will get you on the road to nice PC sounds. Pay careful attention to the Quintents maximum power rating when selecting your receiver or Amp.

This is one simple means of getting the Quintents installed, others here may have better suggestions and recommendations as well.

Enjoy your new PC sounds.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 02-04-2002 at 09:20 AM

Hey Wes,

Thanks for all your help. I will check into a receiver or an amp. I really look forward to hearing these speakers. Seems like Klipsch is the best speakers around from everything that I have read about them. Just one last question. If these are as awesome as I figure they will be I will probably buy another pair for my tv. Do I basically need the same thing to hook them up to my tv, as in a reciever or amp? Thanks again for all the help.

newlydead,

For home audio use you won't need mini connectors. You would need the audio interconnects. These have the RCA connectors on their ends. You would also need video connectors if you plan to use with a surround type receiver, add video interconnects if planning to use video components, such as DVD, VCR or Laser Disc.

If you've never connected a Home Theater System, I suggest going to site such as Denon.com and down loading one of their on-line manuals for their surround receivers. You can then review the manual to familarize your self with the necessary components and set-ups for a Home Theater System. You'll be a lot wiser when venturing out to discuss systems with sales personnel.

Best of luck,

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>