Advise wanted for system with La Scala front, Lexicon DC1 and Bryston 7B-ST

gx1856

I am looking for constructive criticism on my current audio set up. First let me describe my system.

Front - 1980 La Scalas with Bob Crites crossovers and tweeters.

Center - KLF C7 with Bob Crites diaphragm.

Subwoofer - Velodyne HGS-15.

Rear - KG 5.5s with Bob Crites diaphragms.

Amplification - five Bryston 7B-STs.

Pre-amplification - Lexicon DC-1.

CD player - Denon 1650 AR.

Cables - unbalanced 3 meter Audioquest Copperhead.

Room - 14' x 20' with 8' ceiling, heavy drapes on one wall, carpeted floor, two cloth couches and one leather couch.

Listening preferences - various, but some of my favorites are: hard rock (AC/DC, Motley Crue, Guns n Roses), rock (John Mellencamp, Bruce Springsteen, Jackson Browne, Dire Straits), country (Waylon Jennings)

My main concern is listening to 2 channel audio, but I do enjoy watching movies. My first question is if anyone has any strong opinions on pre-amplification. Could I greatly increase my sound quality by changing my preamp? My Brystons have both balanced and unbalanced inputs, but the Lexicon only has unbalanced outputs. It is my understanding that for a 3 meter run there are great advantages to using balanced connections. Would it be advisable to switch to a preamp that has balanced outputs? If so I would love to hear some recommendations.

My next concern is my choice for amplification. I did not purchase the Brystons solely because they offer 500 watts at 8 ohms. I have owned Bryston 4Bs and a 2B in the past. Before that I had an Adcom GFA 5500. I love the way the Brystons sound. The sound is very clean and there is excellent separation. One reason I chose the Brystons is for their build quality. It speaks volumes that they offer a 20 year warranty. I realize that 500 watts for La Scalas is overkill. My speakers currently sound very good, but in my opinion it is not until about 105 db that they really come ALIVE. I think they sound great at and above 105 db, but it is terrible for my ears and I can only listen to music at that volume for a short period of time. With a different amplifier would the lower volumes come alive more, or is the problem elsewhere (such as the preamp)?

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

"It is my understanding that for a 3 meter run there are great advantages to using balanced connections."

Are you having issues picking up noise/interference in your interconnects or having ground loops between the Lex and the Brystons? If not then switching to balanced won't do anything for you.

"With a different amplifier would the lower volumes come alive more, or is the problem elsewhere (such as the preamp)? "

How do you have the Lexicon configured for bass management between your mains and your sub? Have you verified proper acoustic phasing between the mains and your sub?

What software version is the DC-1?

Did you use a SPL meter when you set output levels? In the Lexicons it is important to use one and set the levels properly to 75dB so that the Lexicon can apply proper processing for its SPL dependent loudness function.

Are you listening to music in 2 channel or a surround mode? If not in a surround mode have you spent some time with Music Logic, Music Surround or Panorama?

Shawn

"Are you having issues picking up noise/interference in your interconnects or having ground loops between the Lex and the Brystons? If not then switching to balanced won't do anything for you."

The Brystons have ground lift switches. With the ground lifted there is no noticable noise or interference.

"How do you have the Lexicon configured for bass management between your mains and your sub?"

The crossover on the Lexicon is set a 80hz.

"Have you verified proper acoustic phasing between the mains and your sub?"

I am afraid that I do not understand these question. Please explain in simple terms. I do know that on the Velodyne I can either set the phase at 0 degrees or 180 degrees. I currently have it set at 180 degrees.

"What software version is the DC-1?"

The software is version 4.00

"Did you use a SPL meter when you set output levels? In the Lexicons it is important to use one and set the levels properly to 75dB so that the Lexicon can apply proper processing for its SPL dependent loudness function."

I did use an SPL meter when I set the output levels. However, I currently have the loudness function turned off.

"Are you listening to music in 2 channel or a surround mode?"

I listen to music in 2 channel. I greatly prefer the sound in 2 channel over the sound in surround.

"With the ground lifted there is no noticable noise or interference."

Then there is nothing to be gained from balanced interconnects.

" The crossover on the Lexicon is set a 80hz."

For all channels and the sub? Did you bypass the crossover in the sub?

"I am afraid that I do not understand these question. Please explain in simple terms."

If you have a test disc with an 80hz tone play that through your system and use your SPL meter to measure the SPL at your listening position. Try flipping the polarity on your sub and see if the SPL increases or decreases. Whichever setting results in the loudest SPL you should use. If you don't have a SPL meter you can do that same thing with pink noise.

"However, I currently have the loudness function turned off."

Try turning it on. It isn't a dumb loudness control. If you calibrated correctly the Lex. knows the volume at your listening position and applies the proper amount of boost based on the current SPL.

"I listen to music in 2 channel. I greatly prefer the sound in 2 channel over the sound in surround."

Spend some time with the surround modes. The Lexicon is enormously flexible in how you can tune the sound to your tastes and you may find you like it after you dial it in. When I bought my DC-1 ages ago it ruined me forever to 2 channel listening but it took a little bit of time to tweak it how I like it and to just get accustomed to it.

What didn't you like about the sound in Music Logic? Be specific and I can properly suggest ways to alter that.

Also, Panorama can work with just 2 channels. You have to go through its calibration for it to work properly though, the procedure is in the manual. With that dialed in and you in the sweet spot the soundstage/imaging is just spooky.

Shawn

Your Bryston amps have a very good reputation, so there should be no problem there. If you want to improve the sound of your La Scalas, you could think about converting them to JubScalas, in either 510 or 402 variety. You've got plenty of good-quality amps, so you just need an EV Dx38 processor/crossover and a pair of either 402 horns or 510 horns, with K-69A drivers in either case.

In case you're not familiar with JubScalas, they're La Scalas with Jubilee tweeters, bi-amped with active electronic crossovers, which give more control than is available with passive crossovers, plus the woofers and tweeters can be time-aligned with a simple setting. The K400 and K-77 squawkers and tweeters are disconnected, along with the crossovers.

JubScalas are a big upgrade from standard La Scalas, but are less expensive and less bulky than Jubilees. They're sort of a junior Jubilee and they sound great!

BTW, 500Wpc does sound like an awful lot of power for LS speakers, but it can give the music a real presence you won't get with less power. I'm using Yamaha MX-D1s for the JubScalas, so that's 500Wpc for the woofers and another 500Wpc for the tweeters, and everything is still fine after eight months of happy listening, mostly at medium volume levels.

The standard La Scalas (with Bob Crites CT125 tweeters and fresh Sonicaps in AA crossovers) sounded good at both low and high volume, and so do the JubScalas.