Program remote for Yamaha RX-V663 to work with Dish Network 625 receiver?

carbon summit

I'm trying to program my remote for my Yamaha 663 to work with my Dish Network 625 DVR. I've called Best Buy and they were no help. I'm going to email Yamaha next but I thought I'd ask here too in case anyone has already crossed this bridge before. There is no listing for any sat recivers on the list of remote codes in the manual. Thanks.

Have you tried just using the remote's learning function? When I programmed the remote for my Yamaha RX-V750, the only component that it had preset codes for was the JVC TV. For the Yamaha DVD-S550 DVD player and the Philips VCR, I used the learning function and it worked fine.

You just face the two remotes to each other and press the Learn button on the Yamaha remote. Press a button on your Sat remote and press the corresponding button on the Yamaha remote. Your exact procedure may vary a bit, but that's the basic concept.

Some of the buttons on the other remotes were not duplicated on the Yamaha remote, so I selected another likely button. With one component, the Yamaha power button would not turn the component on and off, so I chose another button and it worked fine. I just have to remember that the Title button turns the DVD player on and off. For the more complicated menu functions, I use the component's original remote, since it's simpler that way.

Have you tried just using the remote's learning function? When I programmed the remote for my Yamaha RX-V750, the only component that it had preset codes for was the JVC TV. For the Yamaha DVD-S550 DVD player and the Philips VCR, I used the learning function and it worked fine.

I have not tried the learning function yet. Actually never thought of it. Thanks for reminding me of a cheap place to start. I was thinking of getting a univeral remote. I notice you had to program your Yamaha DVD player too? That surprises me since its a Yamaha.

I'll say it again: I love this receiver. Not owning any other of the ones I looked at I won't say this is an endorsement to buy the 663 over anything else but for me not having a new receiver in over 18 years I can't believe how much better things are now. That auto EQ set up is the best. I'm sure people will say you can manually improve on it but I know I find comfort that it is done and done better than I probably could have done it.

I was surprised that I couldn't find a code for the Yamaha DVD player, but the learning function let me make it work anyway, so I'm happy. Yes, the new gear is way better than the old stuff. This is my fourth Yamaha receiver since 1975 and each one has worked and sounded better than its predecessor.

I don' t thing the 663's remote has the ability to learn. I'm reading the manual with no luck so I google and find another person complaining that the remote is only programable by codes and doesn't have the ability to learn. If this isn't true and I'm missing something someone please let me know!

it controls my tv and my dvd player but not my cd player (sony) or my sat reciver (dish network 625)

in truth it probably is easier to use the dish remote for dish stuff but I wish it controlled my CD player. I have a sony all in one remote from my old reciever but I can't find my CD remote for the CD player. I'm considering buying a DVD/CD player from Yamaha but I think I'll get by for now until blu ray players get cheaper and I'll get on to replace all of the above.