More Tweeter Deals...

SilverSport

This last Saturday I went with both my brothers to check out what might be for sale at the Tweeter going out of business sale...having been to several other going out of business sales only to learn they jacked everything up to full retail and then knock a little off the price (Circuit City, I'm looking your way...[;)] )...I was skeptical...

The Tweeter in Geneva, Illinois had several Klipsch speakers at half price...nice...some THX speakers at 40% off...but I like my Heritage and KGs and moved along...I did find something that might be worth buying...a Cambridge Audio Azur 640C v2 in silver face...a bit scuffed up but if the price was nice...

...by the time I could get someone to help me another guy was looking at it...the two of us struck up a conversation while the Tweeter guys were trying to locate the remote, power cord and manual...guy tells me he is looking at this for a second system but if I really want it...he'd back off...I tell him thanks (nice gesture on this guy's part...rare in this world) but he was first...I am more interested in the price...

They find the remote and find something to pass as the power cord (this guy has his own special power cords so that won't stop him from buying)...but they stop as the door won't open...they tell the guy he can get it fixed under warranty as this is a floor model but guy will be the first owner SO...he is covered by the factory warranty...even throws in that it has a CD inside he can have...guy is about to take a pass and I mention...try the remote...Tweeter kid looks at me like I'm an idiot...but I mention that I have a version 1 at home and its door won't open from the front panel (never has) but that it has worked fone for the last year and a half I have owned it by using the remote...push the button and the door opens, the tray extends, they remove the CD and guy buys it...$359.99...not great but not too bad for a $649.99 retail player with a usual street price of $599.99...(sometimes audio advisor has it for $399 and shipping) ...

Tweeter guys...now they are going out of business...guys don't have to do ANYTHING nice...call another Tweeter and check on this CD player...even though I never asked...Oak Brook has one (or at least they did the last time the computers worked)...Oak Brook is on my way home...so...sure enough...they have one and it looks far cleaner than the one in Geneva...I even locate the envelope that has the remote, power cord and manual...$359.99...same as the "broken" one in Geneva...I pass...as I say...nice but not great...remote looks like brand new...still marked $359.99...

I wait for Tweeter guy and ask..."How much is the Cambridge 640C???" ...checks the computer...$300...I act disappointed...even better deal but do I really need another CD Player???..."You want it???"..."It works?" says I..."Uhhhhh...not sure"..."It has a full warranty and all, right???"

"Yup but you'd have to send it in yourself..."..."You still take credit cards???"..."Yup..."..."wrap it up then..."

I am listening to it right now mated to a McIntosh MAC1900 and Klipsch Quartets...I had been using the budget Toshiba SD-3950...I have to say that before I was one who said I didn't hear a whole lot of difference in sound quality between the two...build quality was worlds better with the Cambridge...I bought this 640C v2 as curiosity for the dual Wolfson DACs intrigued me and I am pleased with the sound from my other version 1 640C...

This is a REALLY nice sounding CD player...there ARE some deals to be had at Tweeter...and I'll miss 'em...

Bill

I was gonna demo a 640C from Ken at Simply Stereo in Hoffman Estates. I've always been hearing such good things about the Cambridge cd players. I ended up buying a used.....perfect condition.....Cambridge 540d DVD player from Decibals for $180.00. I've only been using it for listening to cd's and absolutely love it.

It now gets more action than the Denon cdp I was using prior. Very nice sounding unit. Very good build quality as well. [Y]

This last Saturday I went with
both my brothers to check out what might be for sale at the Tweeter
going out of business sale...having been to several other going out of
business sales only to learn they jacked everything up to full retail
and then knock a little off the price (Circuit City, I'm looking your
way...Wink )...I was skeptical...

I wait for Tweeter guy and ask..."How much is the
Cambridge 640C???" ...checks the computer...$300...I act
disappointed...even better deal but do I really need another CD Player???..."You want it???"..."It works?" says I..."Uhhhhh...not sure"..."It has a full warranty and all, right???"

"Yup but you'd have to send it in yourself..."..."You still take credit cards???"..."Yup..."..."wrap it up then..."

I
am listening to it right now mated to a McIntosh MAC1900 and Klipsch
Quartets...I had been using the budget Toshiba SD-3950...I have to say
that before I was one who said I didn't hear a whole lot of difference
in sound quality between the two...build quality was worlds better with
the Cambridge...I bought this 640C v2 as curiosity for the dual Wolfson
DACs intrigued me and I am pleased with the sound from my other version
1 640C...

This is a REALLY nice sounding CD player...there ARE some deals to be had at Tweeter...and I'll miss 'em...

Bill

Nice!

Go figure the one here in Fredericksburg does not have any more 640Cs. Would've been a nice match to the 640A that I scored for only $300 there at Tweeter this past Saturday, though. Hey, if you don't want it, you could send it my way. [;)] Finally getting around to putting together a dedicated two-channel setup, and could not pass up that 640A.

Well, yesterday, I tried stopping by the local Tweeter here in town, thinking that this was the last day and seeing what they may have left that I could possibly score on.

Turned out they closed up earlier in the week.

Tweeter is indeed no more [:(]

I would imagine that all the other ones are pretty much done as well.

EDIT: Found out the liquidators unexpectedly made the decision to close up all of the stores on the 3rd, several days before the expected closing.