Looking to possibly upgrade Forte II crossovers

theclipper

Hi Everyone,

I haven't been around too much since the summer [H]. You all provided me with great advice of purchasing a pair of Forte II's, and then Wayne was nice enough to give me an old Fisher 400 which Craig rebuilt for me. Fast forward to today and I have now had a week or so to get used to the tube sound. I think it took a few days for the new tubes to break in but they sure sound pretty great now. I have, although, noticed that the right channel always seems to be louder than the left, so I have tried to compensate by moving the balance knob more towards the left. Is this a normal issue, any better fix than what I'm doing? I have posted my current set-up below. I feel like all of my components are fine for now so I thought I may focus my attention on tweaking my speakers. I was wondering if you guys could give me any advice on whether it would be worth it to upgrade my crossovers? I was also thinking of maybe upgrading to a glass platter for my TT. Or is there any other tweak that would be nice? I feel like I'd like to spend my christmas money on my system this year. I'm just not sure what would provide the greatest bang for my buck. All suggestions and feedback are greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for making this such a great community! [:D]

My System:

Forte II

Rega P1 (w/Denon DL-160 Cart)

Fisher 400 (rebuilt by Craig)

-Clipper

The only one who will know if the upgrade is/was worth it would be you, you have to decide if you can live with the improvement for the cost. I personally like the upgraded xovers in my Forte II . the person you want to talk to is Chris Munson/popbumper on this forum.

Jay

A new set of networks or upgrading the capacitors and resistors in your current network will certainly give your system a better lift than a glass platter for your table! There are several on the forum that do crossover work. I can rebuild the ones you have for $175, which includes return shipping. Bob Crites and Chris Munson provide replacements, but you'll have to contact them for pricing and specifics regarding installation.

Hey Dean,

Thanks for the reply. 2 questions. First, is this an upgrade that an everyday person can hear or is it sometihng that can only reallly be heard by an audiophile. Second, how hard would it be me for me to put the new crossovers in the speakers? I have no experience with this at all. Oh, also what is the difference between your crossovers and the ones made the by the other two guys?

Thanks,

Clipper

Most "Audiophiles" don't hear any better than anyone else -- they just tend to listen closer to what's going on (or not going on). I haven't met anyone who can't hear the positive difference cleaning up a network makes. It's easy to hear -- you won't have to strain yourself.

What you have to mess with on your end depends on what route you take. With speakers like the Forte, Chorus, and KLF types, I prefer just to work with the stock PCB's that are already in the speaker. You remove the networks and send them to me, and I replace what I believe to be responsible for most of the improvement in the sound -- the capacitors and resistors. The PCB is attached to the rear of terminal cup on the back of the speaker. You simply remove the terminal cup, disconnect the wiring off the drivers, pack and ship. I have more detailed instructions that I'll send you if this is the way you choose to go. Bob and Chris sell full blown replacement networks for those speakers, which require a little more work to get them back up and running. Nothing painful I'm sure, but I can't elaborate further because I don't know what mounting method(s) they employ.

Thanks for the explination Dean, I guess I need to do more research on their methods as well. I'm sure you do great work but I want to try to get a feel for all the options before making a decision. I want to make sure and get the biggest improvement possible without breaing the bank. I'm sure that is a pretty common sentiment [:P] Also, will this upgrade be noticeable if my speakers aren't very worn? I'm not sure if they have been used very much throughout their lifetime.