Klipsch Rb-61 vs Rb-81, HELP!

Pauw

I'm planning on getting one of these pairs for my father. They will be hooked up to a two channel amplifier as he only wants two speakers. I found the rb-61's at a local retailer for $400, while the Rb-81 run about $700-800 a pair. My question is which ones are worth it? If I got the 61s I could probably get a good stereo reciever, but the 81s would require me to buy one for now, then maybe another down the road, then a reciever even further down. Is the 81 double the sound? Understand the room they'll be in isn't that bi....

Dude, if you check craiglist or audiogon either one of the speakers is selling for about $300.00 in good shape. I almost got a pair of 61s for 330.00 shipped but I changed my mind and got a projector instead :) I recommend buying used but if thats not your style JR.com is always a good choice. Just give them a call and they will usually barter with you. Theres my 2 cents worth!

Jeremy

What do you mean by "double the sound"? Volume? I haven't heard either but spec wise they are pretty similar. According to some on these forums the 81 sounds a bit fuller. Its probably a similar comparison between the RF-83 and RF-63. Both being excellent speakers but one being a bit fuller and has the ability to dig a bit deeper.

I've got a pair of 61's I bought last year (when money things were better) and use them as remote speakers in our bedroom from my study. I run them from the montior amp of a McIntosh C33 (20wpc) and they sound fine. I put them behind the headboard and the wall to keep them out of sight (wish I didn't have to). They do put out more bass than I'd thought they'd have. Paid about $380/pair in Cherry at one helluva non-fire sale.

I'm a bit amused because my father has a very old, set of gargantuan, cheap speakers

which simply sound awful most of the time. They sound decent (I use decent conservatively)

only when you turn them to max volume. He also has a very old amp (doesn't really work anymore)

I'm hoping, for now, the rb61s alone will make quite a difference in sound and they'll be appreciated.

The yamaha amp i'm looing at has 100 WPC and a subwoofer port, How dothey sound as a whole?