Combination of fronts and rears and possible surrounds

Icompose

If I knew it was going to be so tedius...

I've read quite a bit, but have yet to find anything which covers my situation.Ok, so I finally ended up not getting the rf-83s right now, and went with RC-64 (I know it won't be a perfect match, but I figured the centre is exceptionally important), 2 rf-82s for the front, 2 rf-82s for the rears, and hsu vtf-3 mk3 for the sub. Again, I have the Onkyo 906 for the receiver.Now I have to set up my Samsung dlp 67" to set up, and time seems to be moving at light speed now-a-days - Not enough time in a day!My question is; are the rf-82s good enough for the rear for a complete fill? Or should I get any surrounds e.g. the rs-52s to replace the rears, or should I add rs-52s to the mix in the middle. I guess what I'm trying to accomplish, is having a 5.1 system, but with the option of having a 7.1 in the future, however, if the surrounds are over kill with the 82s in front and rear, then I will forget about the surrounds.My area is approximately 11.5' by 30, but might consider shortening the length. Cheers,

• Moderators

Hey bro, I wouldn't sweat it. We all give advice based on the "ideal setup" and "ideal budget". Since you have bought it, try it. Hook it up, then crank it up. You may find that the RF-82's cannot keep up with the mighty RC-64. If that is the case, later down the road, upgrade to the RF-63's or RF-83's.

My question is; are the rf-82s good enough for the rear for a complete fill?

The RF and RB series will by nature be somewhat directional since they are direct firing speakers. The RS series, however, are more nondirectional (wide dispersion) meaning they will be less localized and less likely to tell where the sound is coming from. They will envelope you with sound more than the RF series would as rear speakers.

If I were you, I would keep the system. Try it out, test it out on different sources and see what you think. If you are looking for more, buy the RS-52's and put them on the sides, slightly behind the listening area and use the RB-82's for rear speakers. Again, if the fronts cannot keep up with the RC-64, you could always sell the front pair and upgrade to RF-63 or RF-83.

You can upgrade forever...for now...just sit back, grab a soda, kick up your feet and turn up your remote! Enjoy

I also say hook it up and crank it, and see how you like it. I'm sure the 82's will make great rear surrounds. I don't know how high they stand, but if the horns are even with your head, you may want to put something under them to bring them up a little bit. And of course if you don't like the sound, then get the surround speakers.

when i bought my system i asked my dealer ( whom is the store manager, and a personal friend of mine so no BS) I asked about that and he said most the RC-64s he sells get teamed up with RF-82s. Its what i bought. Haven't hooked it up at home yet, promised the wife I'd wait till Christmas being it was our gift to each other. But i really put the 82 64 combo through the paces at the store ( and hour 1/2 of mind numbingly load music , movies, and weird sounds i brought from home. I ran nearly every customer out the store with the volume) but i was very happy with the choice.