Placement options for possible 2nd pair of RF-7's in my setup.....

tonysly

Hey everybody, I was hoping to get a few different opinions from some other Klipsch freaks like myself. Right now I'm running RF-7 mains, RC-7 center, RS-7 surrounds, RS-3ll rears, and two RSW-15 subs. I was going to use what little bit of extra cash I have to get an amp, an emotive XPA-5, but I have a chance to pick up a 2nd pair of RF-7's instead :) So my situation is this- I would love to grab this extra pair of RF-7's and finally be rid of the RS-3ll rears that dont match the rest of the series seven set. If I do so, I would be running the new pair of RF-7's either as side surrounds or rear surrounds. I know the RS-7's sound better as side surrounds (at least in my opinion) which means I would just put the towers in place of the current RS-3ll's in the back. But on the other hand I feel like the rear surrounds really dont do much work, so the RF-7's would be better utilized at the sides, with the RS-7's picking up the rear surround duties. Opinions on which of these two options each of you would go with? Or maybe I wouldn't notice a big enough difference for the money, and I should just stick to my original plan of getting the amp? If I do get this second pair of RF-7's, my eventual goal will be to pick up a third pair, and just have a straight RF-7 with one RC-7 center HT setup which I think would be pretty damn cool. Of course then I would run into the problem of whether or not to replace the lone RC-7 center with another RF-7! Haha- decisions, decisions :) Opinions are MORE than welcome.... Thanks guys!

I purchased my RF-7's & RC-7 used, the previous owner had 4 RF-7's and a RC-7. I prefer the sound of 2 RF-7's for the mains and 2 RS-7's for the surrounds for movies. The 4 RF-7's sounded better with music.

Using RF-7's as the rears would be a waste of a good speaker unless you listed to 7 CH stereo alot.

Looking back at my post, that's what I meant 5 ch STEREO setting.

Southern has a valid point. It is a great set up for music listening, for movies he is probably right too but it is nice to have the option, the ideal set up would be to have both the towers all around for music and the RS 7 for movies. It can be done but you will need extra amps and a big room

I never felt is was an issue having towers instead of the RS speakers as long as they were properly positionned and set up.

Hey guys it looks like the decision was made for me, which in a way is a relief :) I waited a bit too long trying to decide between this extra pair of RF-7's or sticking to my original plan to get an XPA-5. So it looks like I will be getting a shipment from Emotiva some time after Christmas. I am comfortable sticking with my RS-7 as surrounds as I do use my HT mostly for movies. I'm glad some of you knocked some sense into me that the RS-7s are great surrounds for movies, otherwise I probably would have gone right out and bought the towers. Although now that the thought of a HT full of RF-7s is in my head, I will probably try to make it happen someday! For now I just need to save up for a few amps and a nice xmc-1, it's long past due that I jump into nice seperates. Falcon- a while back I saw a lone black RF-7 for sale here locally, they wanted $400 for it but that was a few months ago now. If I run into one I'll let you know. Thanks guys.

" I know the RS-7's sound better as side surrounds (at least in my
opinion) which means I would just put the towers in place of the
current RS-3ll's in the back."

do this and run them as LARGE- when the director pans and explosion or sound effect hard front-back you'll FEEL the movement.

KEEP your RS7's on the sides at all costs.

Ideally, I'd get RB75's if you could and hang them on the back wall up high, something you can't do with RF7.