Center and Surrounds Speakers for 5.2's - Any suggestions?

LittleHuff68

I am setting up my first HT and would like some advice on what to use for a center channel with 5.2's as well as the surround (rear) speakers. I've seen what Klipsch recommends for the center. Does anyone have an opinion on additional options?

I also currently have a SW-15 II sub.

BTW - I'd also like to know the value of my sub...just curious whether I got a good deal or not.

Thanks for the input

Little Huff

Your sub....very nice indeed. I could have purchased one of those in oak oil for $500 a few months back. What did you pay?

The 5.2 are very nice. I have 5.5s. You have a few choices for the center:

1. KV3

2. KG 2.2V or identical 2.5V

3. KLF-C7

4. None - use phantom mode (see other thread on this)

I've tried KV2, 2.2v, and C7 with my KG 5.5, and all fell a tad bit short. Phantom works best, but only when sitting "on axis".

For rears, I prefer direct radiating speakers. KG 2.2 or 2.5 would be great, as well as KG1 or KG 1.5. If you want to do primarily multi-channel audio you may consider getting 2 more 5.2s or a pair of 5.5s for your rear as well. Several 5.2s on ebay right now.

T-man

T-man,

I think I did OK on the sub. I picked it up at a local auction for $375. Its in oak, but don't know if its oil.

I assume when you say "on axis" that you would be sitting directly in front of the TV with speakers centered. The layout of my room may prevent this from being the best solution.

I read a little on selecting rear speakers. My understanding is that you want bipole or dipole speakers. Do the speakers you recommend fall into this category? If not, why do you prefer "direct radiating"? (I'm still learning here!!)

As far as 5.2's/5.5's for the rears, I think my wife would object. They're probably going to be something bookshelf or smaller... besides, I am in it mostly for the HT surround effects rather than multi-channel audio (atleast for now!).

Would Quintets be a mistake for the rears?

Thanks for the response T-man.

LH68

You did very well on that sub purchase.

The speaks I recommended were not dipoles. Quintet speakers aren't either. I would recommend going with KG 1.2, 1.5 or KG1 for your rear based on what you stated. You will need to be patient to find these on Ebay or some other online place. Quintets might work for the short term until you figure out what you really want/need. Just don't spend more money than you have to. These are really cheap on Ubid and Ebay.

T-man

I have an opinion LittleHuff! And here it is:

Go to www.denon.com and download the owners manual for the Denon 3802 receiver.The manual has good information,with drawings,for correct speaker selection and placement for both Home Theatre and music use.

Also check out www.dolby.com , and

http://www.audioholics.com/Roomacoustics_page.htm .

Generally, recommendations are to use monopoles in the rear for music,and bipoles or dipoles in the rear for Home Theatre.I've tried various configurations myself and use both direct radiating and WDST surround speakers.I use both in my HT set-up, for Music and HT.

I have KG5.5's that I now use for music only,but used them for years for HT.The KLF-C7 EASILY overplays the 5.5's in HT use.The timbre match may not be perfect but is close.The KLF-C7 is no doubt one of the best center speakers Klipsch has produced in modern history.The only way to improve on it,IMO,would be another KG5.2.Otherwise,its a compromise.I recommend you call Trey at 1-800-KLIPSCH (Tech Support)for his recommendations for matching speakers.

BTW,good buy on the SW15II.I have half-a-dozen of so of the smaller SWII subs and they are good performers.Note how Klipsch recently returned to that design.

You might read the February/March issue of Sound and Vision magazine for an article regarding monopole/dipole speakers.

Keith