Matching Speakers

John0392

I have read numerous threads that emphasize matching speakers. The only problem is the costs.

I am thinking about getting following and was wondering what any of the experts think about my choice

Klipsch SB1 for fronts

Klipsch KSC C1 for Center

Klipsch KSB 1.1 for Surround rears

I understand that the SB1 don't match the other (3) exactly but I can't locate the KSB 3.1 anywhere. My room is approximately 13'x13' so I believe these sizes should do OK. I presently have the Quintet System and a KSW 12" subwoofer. The costs on the matching SS1 and SC1 are way out there.

Thanks for you help

Speaker matching is a issue that is discuss frequently on this forum. However, realistically following through can be an expensive proposition as well as other issues of concern. Such as not having the space or in the case of the heritage series not having any true matched units. You have to go with your ears and budget. However, you are making a good start. Get what you can at this point and build from there. Make note of the weaknesses in your system and plan to improve with the next investment. Use your ears to determine what is best for your given situation.

------------------

Bill J.

My Music System

Good advise, willjam... and keeping in mind which speakers are more likely to fit, as BobG suggests, is important as well.

Great sound is an illusion that is created when your electronics and speakers team up with your particular room configuration to send waves into your ear canals so that the theater of your mind is awash in aural ecstasy.

So, implement your system by your budget and plan each new tweak with careful thought and, whenever possible, an audition in your own HT & music environment. In short, "Brain MUST Be Engaged Before Shifting Into EAR!" cwm5.gif HornEd

PS: That's the only smiley with an ear... are the Forum Meisters trying to tell us there's monkey business in the ear approach? cwm34.gif

This is all very good general advise; however, to get to the meat of it. I have approximately 13'x13' room and have already purchased the 1.1 for the rears. This will probably be my last upgrade at my age. The two real questions I have and need you specific advise on is:

(1) Do I need to spend the extra cash (short supply) on the SB 3s or because I have the KSW 12" sub can I be just a pleased with the SB 2s.

(2) With eiter of these two would I hear a definite difference between the KSC C1 vs the SC 1.

I know it is up to ones own ears; however, I am asking for your opinions. I have to make the final decision but need to hear from all of you out there. This is a Klipsch Forum ya know.

JB

JohnO392, I don't know what your age is, but I built the last system for my mother who is in her mid-90's. The enjoyment she has gotten from it is far beyond her doctors' expectation or mine. What this experiment has demonstrated is that good pictures stimulate the mind... add some good sound... and suddenly good pictures become GREAT mental stimulators. Now to the specifics.

First of all, as BobG inferred, you already have enough subwoofer for your room size and potential speaker choices. Remember, subwoofers operate in an area where bookshelf speakers are their weakest and timbre is close to being a non-concern. Just set your regular speakers to "SMALL" and let the sub handle your sound chores below the rolling cutoff. It will allow your other speakers to handle the rest in much better fashion... since they no longer have the "long-throw" bass chores.

In my last post, I suggested you use your head first... then your ears. Look at the specs and the manufactures recommendations. Look up the speaker under products, click on it and then click the SPECIFICATIONS choice on the left side. Speakers that have common sensitivity ratings and common ingredients (like the same tweeter, midrange or woofers) will tend to blend in better.

Frankly, if it were me on a tight budget, I would get three mains the same and use one as a center channel, be happy I already have a KSW-12 and use the best of whatever was left for the side-surrounds... put them against the side walls facing each other. I would then buy, borrow, or go in with some pals on an analog Radio Shack SPL meter ($35 or so), set the speakers to "SMALL" and the sub to "YES", set the sound volume on the left main to 75dB on the meter... and then, leaving the volume alone, adjust every other speaker to 75dB by the +/- calibration adjustments in your receiver.

For HT, a good center is the most important... because more HT sound is directed to the center speaker than all the rest put together. Next is a good sub to add the bottom end realism popular priced speakers are hard pressed to create. Having quality mains for HT is more for matching the center than carrying the sound quality of the system IMHO. Di-polar surrounds are preferred by some, particularly with smaller systems... but, I prefer a full range conventional speaker to get the discrete programming... and let my mind take care of any ambiance issues.

I am afraid this post was also fairly basic, John, but it was intended to give you the tools of choice that should precede the critical subjectivity test of your own ear. Choose well and roll on into the sunset with a smile! cwm12.gif HornEd