Perplexed by low BluRay LFE output

unimorpheus

Thanks Rudy.

Steve, as Indy (under)stated, you can simply use coax or toslink from the blue ray player to get sound. It just won't be the new-fangled lossless sound available on blue ray movies. Whether that matters or not likely depends on (1) the quality the producers put into the soundtrack in the first place and (2) the system that you are playing it back on. I am expecting more realism and more dynamic range from the lossless tracks. If your SACD player is already taking up your analog input (which was my case), the upcoming blue ray player from oppo will play SACDs and have analog outputs as well as best-of-class DVD upscaling, but it will be more expensive than the sub-$200 player entry point, priced around $500.

psg - It is nice to see some receivers have the ability to independently manage output levels. Unfortunatly my affinity for Yamaha is fading fast. For some reason the 6 channel input on a Yamaha receiver overrides all other source inputs and cannot be tied to any input channel. It also cannot be independently calibrated. Looks like I still need to replace my AVR. I just don't understand why Yamaha would have implemented the 6 channel input in such a strange fashion unless it is a straight through design which would still leave me stuck. This input almost looks like an afterthought on the Yamaha.

Well, to get audio out of BluRay you need either.....

1) HDMI

2) Analog outs, of the codecs from the BluRay machine.

The issue is to non HDMI pre amps or recievers, the sub out is - 10 db down....

If the BluRay player has the other formats it will play them too. dd dts TRUE HD etc., etc.

So I realize that HDMI supports uncompressed 8 channel audio and HD video. So if you're pre/pro supports this and you've also got that many speakers then all is right with the world. Not to mention that you don'tneed to deal with all those messy cables.

But, what are the common Audio formats and physical connections shipping with most Blu-Ray players these days, and what are most Blu-Ray movies supporting for audio formats for us not so fortunate non HDMI folks? Do they not have audio selection for the more common DTS and DD formats and the digital optical physical connections to support same?

I get that the LFE analog out is 10db down, but my question is how common is it that a BluRay disc doesn't support the older codecs like DTS Digital Surround (5.1) or Digital Dolby,which would both be transferred to the AVR via the digital optical cable in a ditital format and decoded in the receiver, and do most players have a Digital Optical out on the back? (I'll go do my homework on that quickly.)

To my knowledge, the only time I'm using the Analog outs of my current DVD/CD player are when playing either CDs, or SACDs. What I did just check was my ability to attenuate the LFE using the receiver and it does have a +10DB setting. (oh joy)

I lifted this from the Blu-ray.com FAQ

What audio codecs will Blu-ray support?

Linear PCM (LPCM) - up to 8 channels of uncompressed audio. (mandatory)
Dolby Digital (DD) - format used for DVDs, 5.1-channel surround sound. (mandatory)
Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) - extension of Dolby Digital, 7.1-channel surround sound. (optional)
Dolby TrueHD - lossless encoding of up to 8 channels of audio. (optional)
DTS Digital Surround - format used for DVDs, 5.1-channel surround sound. (mandatory)
DTS-HD High Resolution Audio - extension of DTS, 7.1-channel surround sound. (optional)
DTS-HD Master Audio - lossless encoding of up to 8 channels of audio. (optional)

Please note that this simply means that Blu-ray players and recorders will have to support playback of these audio codecs, it will still be up to the movie studios to decide which audio codec(s) they use for their releases.

Steve_L: Most new BD players have some type of SPDIF and HDMI. A few of the new players also include on board audio decoding and analog outs. The latter have been a must have for those of us who do not have HDMI capable processors. In my case, the Panasonic BD55 decodes the new lossless formats DD TrueHD, DTS MA etc. and sends the decoded analog signal to my analog inputs in my processor. I could use the SPDIF connection to get whatever lossy format they included in the disk, DD or dts. However, I wanted the new HD formats and this is the only way to get them without getting a new processor that has HDMI connections. One issue, is that if you the analog route and you have a separate SACD player, you will have to disconnect the SACD player or get an 8 ch. switch. Otherwise, wait for the upcoming Oppo player release which will be SACD and BD capable.

For anyone looking to replace their gear, best bang for the buck I have found is the new Integra processors. However, they do not have the best 2 channel audio section.

The biggest improvement in Blu Ray is the picture it will show you, particularly on a large screen. The audio in HD format is not as large an improvement IMHO.

Thanks all, I am starting to get the picture. It could be that a upgrade to a HDMI reveiver may be in my future. I can't imagine the audio being any better than my current audio with a good DTS audio and the WFA is going to be an issue for any more speakers surrounding us, although I'm sure she'll appreciate the HD video.

OMG just demoed the beginning of BATMANS "Dark Knight" I stand corrected..,.. I almost wet my pants......

It is that real!!!!

No way it was ever this good in the theater........Michel THIS is amazing!!!

Anyone need a good Heritage demo, let me know!!!!

Thanks Trey, Steve, Michael, Doc Who, My wife n family (especially), To the many good listeners like Picky and countless others who have come by.... WOW your gonna love this!!!