XPA-5 and XPA 2

roaddog359

I wonder if the 900 is the same as 706. I 12v trigger for zone 2? When I turned on my zone 2 I lost the rears on my 7.1

I don't know if your 706 may work differently.

I choose "Surr Back" in the Hardware Setup in the setup menu, choice is Surr Back or Zone 2.

When I press the Zone 2 button on my remote the standby light blinks on the the receiver for about 3 seconds but nothing changes and it does not affect my rear speakers.

The rear speakers are affected by the setup menu but not by the remote.

The setup menu also affects if the rear speakers are shown in other menu adjustments, the remote "zone 2" button has no effect here either.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure what "act" is on your receiver, but you want zone 2 OFF, If you turn ON zone 2 it will turn OFF the rear surrounds, you may need "act" ON for the rear surrounds again I am not sure what act is.

Your receiver is amplifer compatible so it will work, you just need to work out how you will trigger the amp but there will be a way.

You can also try seeing how the amp works without the trigger being used, it may work very well without a trigger just using the amps input sensor.

When I quick tesxted the XPA 5 with my set up it never powered the amp on so I turned it on I waited about 1 min. If you can look at page 97 and 98 in the onkyo 706 manual it explains it but confuses me. You may be able to view rthe downloadable manual on the onkyo site. I will try and find it.

doesn't your onkyo have a 2 prong outlet on the back of it? i am sure most receivers do. that is where the wall wart is pluged into. once the receiver is turned on, power is sent to the outlet on the back of the onkyo, which in turn turns on the wall wart.

edit: my bad, i just looked at the pic of the 706. it doesn't even have a removable iec power cord. i guess that suggestion i said will do you no good. it will how ever help if you buy a 805 and up. i think all the onkyos have the same problem, when you hit "zone 2" on the remote to trigger the 12v trigger, it also turns off the 2 rear channels making you nice 7.1 set up into a 5.1 set up.

edit: my bad, i just looked at the pic of the 706. it doesn't even have a removable iec power cord. i guess that suggestion i said will do you no good. it will how ever help if you buy a 805 and up. i think all the onkyos have the same problem, when you hit "zone 2" on the remote to trigger the 12v trigger, it also turns off the 2 rear channels making you nice 7.1 set up into a 5.1 set up.

It does not have an outlet and it does not have a removable iec cord.[8o|]

I took a quick look at your manual (funny I did before you posted anything about your manual here).

Here is what I noticed from the manual.

When “Act” is selected and Zone 2
turned off, the surround back speakers output sound as
normal.

It seems you want "act" selected and zone 2 turned OFF to use your rear surrounds.

OK when this is set in you hardware settings and you use the remote and press "zone 2" on the remote what happens?

Pressing "zone 2" on my remote does not turn off the rear speakers..... It does not do anything other than blink the standby light a few times. I am hoping at this point it will trigger the amp as I was told, it does not turn off the rear speakers from the remotes "zone 2" button.

I took a quick look at your manual (funny I did before you posted anything about your manual here).

Here is what I noticed from the manual.

When “Act” is selected and Zone 2
turned off, the surround back speakers output sound as
normal.

It seems you want "act" selected and zone 2 turned OFF to use your rear surrounds.

OK when this is set in you hardware settings and you use the remote and press "zone 2" on the remote what happens?

Pressing "zone 2" on my remote does not turn off the rear speakers..... It does not do anything other than blink the standby light a few times. I am hoping at this point it will trigger the amp as I was told, it does not turn off the rear speakers from the remotes "zone 2" button.

Ok I turned act back on and when I press the zone 2 on the remote it lights up for a few seconds and it does not turn on zone 2 on the receiverr and the rears did not turn off either[^o)]

Ok I turned act back on and when I press the zone 2 on the remote it lights up for a few seconds and it does not turn on zone 2 on the receiverr and the rears did not turn off eitherHmm

OK great, now hopefully pressing zone 2 on the remote will activate the trigger.