Building false wall for cornerhorns

winchester21

I am looking at the prospect of building a small partition wall in my listening area to create a corner a Klipschorn. the tech info people at Klipsch told me that the wall needs to be at least 4 feet high and 4 feet long. This wall would extend at a 90 degree angle from an existing wall. I have a couple of questions. Could I use a pre fabbed partition from an office supply store?? Does the corner need to be sealed where the 2 surfaces come together or would a small gap be acceptable?? Does the wall need to be a hard surface such as drywall or would a typical carpet covered office partition panel work?? Do you think a 4 ft by 4 ft wall is large enough to properly act as a sounding area for these speakers? The room dims are 1ft wide by 24 ft long with a 9 ft ceiling. I plan to put the k horns at the end of the 14 ft across dim. There is a door at the end of the room where I would need to build the wall.

I am new at this. Thanks in advance.

You should really do a search on the many, many threads on this topic. The quick answer is: worry less about the gap (in the corner) and the surface and worry more about the stiffness and density/mass of the construction. Do not bother with the pre-fab stuff.

Also make sure that the horizontal surfaces are tight to the corner (search on "pipe foam").

Good Luck, and it will make a differences

There are many posts on building false corners on the forum, running a search would provide quite a bit of information. I will say that the stronger and stiffer the corner, the better your bass performance from the Khorn. DO NOT line the corner with carpeting or any other absorbent material, you will not get the performance your Khorns are capable of. You don't have to seal the location where the 2 surfaces meet, but you MUST ensure that the tailboard is sealed against the corner sides, otherwise you will not see good bass performance. I have a 4'x4' false corner on my speakers and this is just fine.

Every problem I have had with bass performance has been due to my failure to truly seal the bass bin to the corner, or improperly lining my false corner with carpeting. Read this thread regarding bass bins and corners. http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/37447.aspx

If you want to take a look at my corner, you can see pictures here: http://www.prontoweb.com/klipsch_HT.htm