Timbre matching question

Kila

After reading the thread by Roaddog359 I realized that I now have a center channel that is not matched to my other speakers. This happened through a fairly convoluted series of events over the past few weeks, and I'll try to describe it as succinctly as possible.

I won an auction for a RC-35 from the Klipsch Ebay store. It was one of the first things I bought for my new 'home theater', and when it arrived the box was in perfect condition so I just stuck it in a corner to wait for the other parts. Later on, I won another auction for a pair of RB-35's from the Ebay store. I originally planned to use those as my front speakers, and shift my existing RB-5's to the side/rear for a 5.1 setup.

When I opened the box of the RC-35, there was a big hole in the grate of the speaker and it rattled. I called Klipsch and they sent a label for UPS to pick it up, and sent out another speaker. However, the speaker they sent as a replacement was a RC-62! Initially I was ecstatic, because I got such a huge upgrade, but now that I think about it, I realize that this new speaker is not going to be timbre-matched to my other speakers.

Any comments/suggestions?

I really think it will be fine.. Trust me, the RC-62 is a far better speaker than the RC-35. Klipsch did you a huge favor and gave you a replacement upgrade IMO.. I would keep the RB-5's as your front's and move the RB-35's to surrounds. The RB-35's are front ported, so you will have more options as far as placement goes. Heck, you can just mount them to the wall using the keyhole bracket on the back.. Just make sure you hit a stud and use the right size screw. I honestly think you will be happy... I have mixed the older reference series with the newer line and I have never noticed a timbre issue. I had the RC-62 for a while with my RF-3's and it sounded fine. Try it out first and if you don't like it, just sell the RC-62 and buy Micheal's (Colterphoto1) RC-7.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/108992.aspx?PageIndex=1

You will really be set then!

I really think it will be fine.. Trust me, the RC-62 is a far better speaker than the RC-35. Klipsch did you a huge favor and gave you a replacement upgrade IMO.. I would keep the RB-5's as your front's and move the RB-35's to surrounds. The RB-35's are front ported, so you will have more options as far as placement goes. Heck, you can just mount them to the wall using the keyhole bracket on the back.. Just make sure you hit a stud and use the right size screw. I honestly think you will be happy... I have mixed the older reference series with the newer line and I have never noticed a timbre issue. I had the RC-62 for a while with my RF-3's and it sounded fine. Try it out first and if you don't like it, just sell the RC-62 and buy Micheal's (Colterphoto1) RC-7.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/108992.aspx?PageIndex=1

You will really be set then!

Aye, I know they really did me a huge favor by sending the RC-62--I came out smelling like a rose thanks to their generosity. I was just concerned that I'd have to buy different speakers to match with it. So I'm happy to hear that it appears my worries are for nothing! I wish I could mount them on the wall, but unfortunately I live in a duplex condominium and I'm quite certain that my neighbors would be able to hear/feel the vibrations from them if I did, because the way things are laid out one wall that would have a speaker on it is the front wall of the building. Really too bad, too, 'cause that would save me the cost of speaker stands. [:(]

mount them on that wall, just invite them over! lol

it may sound the same to them if you mounted them to the wall vs. speaker stands a few inches from the wall. just a guess.

i second the motion of placing the rb-5's up front, see if you like the rc-62 matched with them. if not, sell that, buy a rc-7. move the rb-35's for rear duty.

The three rules of a center speaker for HT are...... as follows

1 The same as your right n left. #1 choice, but not always possible, but a perfect "Timbre" match!

2 The one made for it.....

3 One upgrade in the same line....(dont go lower grades....70% of dialog so everything in HT is in the center.... )

Everything else is a compromise... it may not be a big compromise, but it is.

I think your fine too...

The best centers share at least the same type n size in the mid n high drivers.. Klipsch started doing this in the ref and now the paladium lines too. It is seamless and the Timbre is wonderful! Notice that the center in the THX line is the same too as the sides.... It does make a difference!