old tubes?

ricktate

a co-wokers dad has some old tubes not sure what they are, are old tubes still good, is there a certain tube i should look for,or should i just tell him to through them away.i dont have a tube amp would like to try one not sure which amp to look for,well thanks for any help....rickcwm15.gif

Hello dere!!

Tubes do not have a shelf life per se. In other words if the tubes were good when stored they will still be good 50 years later.

Look for EL34,KT88,2A3,45,300b,12au7,12AX7,300B,6V6,6sn7,6SL7etc.

As far as tube amps do a search in this forum under tubes - Lots of good information.

The good news is that there are a number of quality low priced tube amps available these days.

Check on Ebay and at Audiogon websites. There ARE SOME GOOD DEALS TO BE HAD.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

High Rick.

Just to add a brief comment to Lynnm's note, the tubes could be worth anything from nothing at all to a lot of money.

If they are tubes that were pulled out of an old TV set or radio or something, the odds are that they're not worth anything. If they came out of an old, high quality tube amp, and they happen to be old tubes in good shape from a company that has acquired a reputation as one of the "golden oldies" of yore, if they're cosmetically good and, particularly, if they still have their boxes, they could be worth a LOT of money. Probably not, but you might as well check it out. Get the tubes, and post a note here with the ID's and we'll try to help you out.

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System