KG 2 for Home theater

x97lyons

I purchased these (oiled oak) new back in high school and have been in love with there sound ever since, they are still in perfect condition. I am about to make my first home theater purchase and could not think of not using these as part of a 5.1 surround sound system. Since I am spending all my money on a new LCD TV and Entertainment center the budget for the rest of the audio system is limited. I was thinking of trying to get a KG 2.2V for a center and was going to use my KG 2 as mains, but my wife would like the speakers to fit inside the entertainment center and the kg 2's miss by an inch. But I was wondering if I should get a pair of KG 2.2's and use my KG 2's as rears. I am also going to try to ebay a decent surround sound receiver. Again I would like to keep this under $500 total. I would love to hear some of your suggestions.

I bought kg2s in 1989...my first brand new Klipsch speaker...they mate well with Heritage models like the Heresy (not timbre matched mind you but somewhat complimentary)...I sold mine to a buddy who thought ALL speakers sound the same...they should do fine in a Home Theater setting in whatever capacity you give them...have the wife listen to a few of the larger Klipsch speakers and she may be convinced to let you use these as mains...or she could be like my GF and not really care for all those speakers...good luck and here's to hoping more chime in for you...

Bill

If KG 2.2s will fit in your ent center then by all means try to find some. Matching speakers across left-center-right is critical for great home theater sound, while rear-front match is less critical. The KG2s will do fine as rears. 2.2s appear with some regularity on ebay or from other forum members, and sell for about $200-$250/pr. A 2.2v will cost about $100-$150. The 2.2 series will easily fill up a modest sized room (sonically, that is). I think you can also get a decent 5.1 receiver for $250 if you stay with a mainstream brand.