Klipsch cf-4 power question

haris525

hi , i am new to this forum. just bought a pair of klipsch cf-4 for about an rf-3 trade plus 300 dollars. The question is i am powering those with a pioneer VSX -82 TXV receiver rated for 130 x 2 @ 8 ohms for stereo power, where else my cf-4 are rated for 300 RMS. The guy who i bought them from had some adcom amps rated at 200 RMS x 3. Do you think i need to upgrade or buy seperate amps. Also i am looking at some Emotiva 3 channel amplifier. Any feedback will be nice.

thanks in advance

you may not get a LOT of feedback about the CF-4s as they are kind of rare...different sounding than most Klipsch speakers I hear as well as having been very expensive when new...there are some different versions so you have that to look at...a search of cf-4s should get you a bit more information...as for power...don't be concerned with the upper end...your CF-4s are VERY efficient meaning that just a little power should make them sing...give that a try first...I believe the CF-4s are 102dB efficient...I use Tube powered EICO HF-81 with 14wpc powering Klipsch Quartets that are only 97.5 efficient...they can get loud...I expect you to have no problems there...I would love to hear your thoughts on these speakers as we don't get much back...lastly...I think Roy DelGado...Klipsch engineer uses this speaker in his own listening environment...only reason I knew this much is I was considering this speaker as there are a pair not too far but 8-900 bux to sample is a bit rich for me...although near the going price for very nice CF-4s...

Welcome!

Bill

hi, thanks for the reply Bill. i did do a little research and determined the version i have is probably version 2, it has shorter ports in the bottom, the woofers and the horns are a bit different color. They do sound very impressive, but you really have to turn the volume up tp hear the detail, the vocals are very clear and the imaging is amazing. Although i have noticed the type of music makes a huge difference. These speakers are great if you listen to Jazz, Rock, orchestral music but they have harder time keeping up with fast music, if you listen to trance, techno (not made for them) then you probably will have to adjust the tone controls constantly, or better yet get a different pair of speakers. These speakers have added new depth to music that the rf-3 missed. if you live around minneappolis you are welcome to hear them. But overall i am very happy with the purchase considering i paid close to 600 for them. I might get some emotiva amps in the future, till then i will se them with my current receiver, but thanks again Bill. i appreciate your response.

thanks

haris javed

yes Bill thats what i am thinking too. Once i get the volume going they sound extremely nice. i got them cheap because the person did not have enough room. He had a lot of nice equipment for sale but my budget was low (he was renovating his house and had too much stuff). This pair is in very nice condition, as a matter of fact it had no stains marks or anything like that on them, just some dust which i cleaned immedietly [:)]. he did have these listed for 800$, but in the end things worked out for both me and him.

haris javed