MCM 3 way to 4 way

manfred

I have a set of MCM 1900's MWM, MSM & MTM and would like to add a MSSM clone to complete the setup. I have a woodshop and could build the cabinets but I am perplexed regarding the drivers. From what I have read in the forums the original MSSMs had K41s which, I assume, are hard to come by.

Is there a substitute that would not create a mismatched sensitivity issue? Any sugesstions would be appreciated.

Since you asked the question I 'm assmuing you know how to use these numbers, if not, email me.

I would probally go cheap and use the kappa pro 10A ($119) or the Deltalite II 2510 ($109). These two are very close in SPL and F numbers.

http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?searchFilter=&srchExt=CAT&perPage=9&sortBy=4&layout=grid&page=1&srchPrice=&srchCat=580&srchMfg=&srchPromo=

post-22082-13819437197484_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The original K41C was a Cetec Gauss driver with dual spiders. It's a monster. This is no ordinary woofer, it's used as a compression driver in the very small back space MSSM horn cabinet.

I think I should measure one on the Klippel machine and locate a source for replacements. I need one for my KP600 system also.

Not sure if you intended there to be a link here. I was also looking at the MCM Grand system and

wonder if I would be better off going with a tractrix design like the mid/low in that system? Does anybody

have experience with these? What are they using for speakers in the new series?

Hi Guys;

The K 42 EP is the new version of the original EV 12 L that was in the Heresy industrial in the late 70s and 80s. It was replaced with the K 42 E the E is for Eminince, The EP is for Eminence Pro series II. Eminence OEM ed the drivers for Klipsch. Now on to the MSSM sub squaker. it used an EV 10 M or L series speaker, really easy to find on E-Bay!!! The only difference in EV series speakers EV L or B series is when they are tested in the factory, the ones that reproduce a little lower responce became B series or BASS speakers or L for LEAD. When a reconer like my self recones one we all use a Series II recone kit for the L or B, one kit for both. The KP 600 also uses a 10 EV in the the low mid module. I own 8 of them. The MSM Squaker in the MCMs used a Gauss HF 4000 16 ohm driver ( parts still avail. ). They were then replaced with the 4X K55 four barrel manifold, great improvement !!! The Peizo drivers in the MTM were also dumped in favor of the MMTM which used 4X K79 ( EV t-35 ) drivers on a 4 barrel manifold. Another great improvement. The Piezo drivers would begin to sound a lot different as they got older.

Also remember when you use a Gauss HF 4000 in the MCM mid do not cross it over at 600 HZ as in the spec sheet. In a very short time it will begin to rasp out or destroy itself. Crossover at 800 HZ and it will last and last. The beauty of the Klipsch design is that sometimes he used cheap drivers th obtain great results. Eg: University drivers ( K 55 ).

Thanks Joey B

• 11 months later...