External amp for KSP 400 subs

richard walker

I purchased a pair of KSP 400's and found the subs were not working. Removed both speaks and the they were fine. I then bypassed the internal crossover and wired them to my Crown K2, via a Behringer corssover. Their signal is from my main l/r on my Yamaha receiver. Everything wide open and i get a mild thump. With the power of the K2 I am totally baffled. Any ideas? Thanks, Rich

Hate to ask stupid questions but gotta start somewhere.

Did you have the power cord plugged in?

Did you have the amp turned on (3-position switch on rear plate)?

Did you have the gold jumpers on the speaker posts or sending the amp a signal via the RCA input?

Do you have the owners manual (download one on this site)?

Did you have the volume knob set to about 7 or 8 (for starters) with the sub volume knob on rear of speaker?

http://www.klipsch.com/products/discontinued/details/ksp-400.aspx

• Moderators

I just had both of my KSP 400 Amps serviced by Klipsch and they did a fantastic job. Both Amps were dead, did a whole bunch of trouble shooting myself to not avail, sent to Klipsch and both are perfect now.

I have now explanation for the speakers not having any output after the cross-over being bypassed. What kind of music/signal is going to the amp. I am sure you are sending something that is low enough in frequency, but had to ask. I don't recall right off hand what the specs of those side firing woofers are and so can't picture what should be coming through with an full range signal.

But can you help me with something? With the lower plate (speaker terminal connections) removed, the one that gives you access to the woofer, can you tell me what color wire was attached that was closest to you and what color wire was furtherest away from you? Are they the same for both speakrs? Are your connection terminals that are on the woofer itself in the 12 o'clock position?

Thanks in advance,

Travis

I'm currently waiting for one of my KSP-400 amps to come back from repair. When I spoke with Klipsch Tech Support they instructed me to send the unit to IA Electronics in Indianapolis, so there it sits, for now. Did you actually send your amps directly to Klipsch?

Richard, I'm very curious on exactly what you did to re-wire the speakers and bypass the internal crossover. I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "mild thump" but is that coming from the subs or is that coming from the mid/high range portion of the KSP's.

If it turns out that I can't get one of my amplifiers repaired, I'll be toying with various options for bypassing the KSP 400's internal amplifier. I actually made a post about this in the Mods/Updates section, but apparently there wasnt enough traffic over there to get a response.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/111984.aspx