Hiss, I've read and experimented.....

Not sure if the hiss is just white noise comming through on my RF5's or not So here's what I've tried to locate the perp. I've disconnected everything from the preamp (stage one) besides the outs that go the the amp, there's still a hiss, when both components are ON, when the pre-amp goesOFF and the amp is left ON all is quiet.I then disconnected the interconnects between the two and left only the speaker wire, when the amp is ON there is a hiss.

Both components are connected to a Power Conditioner/ EF-RF filter and still maintain the hiss. The Hiss volume does not increase with the Volume control and stays constant across all inputs.

I've unplugged the sub to make sure nothing was going on there, I have NOT disconnected everything from the power conditioner (is this my next step).

I've been reading for the last couple of days to find some solutions. The one component I did disconnect from the power condtioner was the cable box as I'm sure the hard drive can cause some nasty interference.

I unplugged the interconnects from the preamp to the amp one at a time to see if there was a bad cable , no luck there but switched them all out anyways, I've checked all the speaker terminations and everything is snug and tight.

I'm looking for some more solutions or will I just have to live with it because I'm sure I can .

Thanks for the input guys.

as someone who has been on a quest similar to yours (but I don't have hiss) I am betting yours is the efficiency of the speaker in your set up and the pre amp...I have just a bit of zzzzzzz that could be a ground loop and if I only had ONE set up I could spend more time on it but I bounce around from room to room and set up to set up and each one to verying degrees, I can hear something when my ear is next to the speakers...sometimes a few feet from them...be they Quartets on SS or Tubes...KGs or Klipschorns...hope you get yours settled to your satisfaction...

Bill

when the pre-amp goesOFF and the amp is left ON all is quiet.I then disconnected the interconnects between the two and left only the speaker wire, when the amp is ON there is a hiss.

Try shorting the inputs to the amplifier and see if the hiss goes away.

when the pre-amp goesOFF and the amp is left ON all is quiet.I then disconnected the interconnects between the two and left only the speaker wire, when the amp is ON there is a hiss.

Try shorting the inputs to the amplifier and see if the hiss goes away.

Does the hiss go away if you remove the speaker wire? :)

Congratulations on going through this process systematically. It's the right way to do it. If you Google "Shorting Plugs" you will find some descriptions of how to make a pair with some RCA plugs from Radio Shack. It's pretty simple if you can solder.

Given your description, my guess is that the hiss is emanating from your preamp. This does not necessarily mean that your preamp is bad. It might just be a bad match for your Klipsches. I began with my K-Horns with an ARC SP-8 preamp. HUGE hiss. I contacted ARC about this and there tech guy said it was a bad component match as the SP-8 is a high-gain preamp. Anyway, I tried a little Dynaco PAS-2 preamp I have with Curcio mods. I had five tubes to swap out. One of the five was pretty much dead quiet. All the others produced varying amounts of hiss. These hisses had different timbres, etc. suffice it to say I used the quietest one. This was a huge improvement in hiss reduction. The Juicy Music Blueberry Xtreme is very detailed and quiet with my setup.

Now I am listening to QUAD ESL-63s and my ARC SP-8 sounds wonderful with them. They are inefficient enough that there is no audible hiss.

This experience, among others, made me a believer in the worth of compatibility issues with regard to all components.

What kind of preamp are you running?

George

Assuming your amplifier has RCA inputs, take a wire and connect it
to both the outside of the RCA plug and the inside...or if you've got
some RCA cables you don't mind losing, cut off the tip about 2-3" and
then connect the two wires together.

Basically, you're trying to
force the input voltave to 0V....with nothing connected, the amplifier
would be more prone to noise pickup. Pretty much all audio gear
measures the noise floor this way since it gives the best numbers.

Anyways,
it sounds to me like your preamp is probably the source of the noise -
and that will more likely be the case if the amplifier gets quite when the inputs
are shorted.