Wanting more volume from my home theater

superedge88

So , the power consumption ont the 2308ci according to dennons specs , is 5.5 amps , at 120 volts this is 660 watts , assuming the receiver is operating at 50% efficiency (which is very good) it should have a total power output of 330 watts , wich will be then divided amongst the 7 channels giving you a total of 47 watts x 7 , at full tilt , not very much headroom . it's a shame it doesnt have pre-out because using a dedicated amp for your mains would be a great solution here.

• 1 month later...

Quote: wich will be then divided amongst the 7 channels giving you a total of 47 watts x 7 , at full tilt.

So if one were to Bi-amp his front speakers would this translate to be 94 watts going to the fronts? I'm trying to learn whether I should or shouldn't bi-amp my RF-62's from my Denon 2808CI. Would bi-amping my RF-62's indeed translate into double the power going into them?

Thank you. Cheers

Would bi-amping my RF-62's indeed translate into double the power going into them?

If you're running 7-channel stereo, you'd get the same signal into the woofers and tweeters, but if you're running any of the surround programs, there's not usually much signal on the surround and rear surround channels, so you'll be driving only half of the speaker (either the woofers or the tweeters) most of the time.

Anyway, that's not real bi-amping, which calls for two amps and an external crossover which bypasses the crossovers in the speakers.

I wish I had seen this thread earlier. My hard core technical knowledge as far as nomenclature- cause and effect is lacking. But I have switched- swapped- and changed HT recievers-and amps(solid state) like crazy since Nov of 08 and I have learned a ton during my journey. I presently have a Sony flagship ES receiver rated at 7 x 100WPC . I had a Denon rated above this 120 or 130 WPC and a Marantz on loan for possible buy. I have had 2 reference speakers hooked up Rf3s and RF83s. 3 heritage speakers hooked up fronts- k horns (present)- Lascalas( now as rears) and Cornwalls(now as surrounds) KV-2 and RC64 reference centers- to be changed out for a Lascala over the weekend. I have tried and owned a mixture of Carver, B&K, and HK separates which i am presently using with my heritage stuff.

Here is my 2 cents worth- IMHO- you cannot overpower a HT system-Thr reference stuff- mid and high end- yields great results from high powerd separates. One of the biggets OMG moments in my listening was hooking up my carver 250 WPC 3 channel to my RC64 (sold)and My Rf3s. It was like a blast of steriods had been injected into the system. If you own a mid/high end reference system- buy yourself some big power amps.My amp stuff is older examples of high end stuff off e-bay. I would not hesitate to go for Emotiva or other new models as well. I have heard some ridiculious HT setups in terms of new high end $$$ power amps but I personally would rather spend my extra dollars on a separate 2 channel setup as the 2 channel mode of playing music through an Ht receiver is less than desirable-IMHO. The dolby digital technology of the newer Ht receiver dose some prettty amazing things as far as allocating power and setting up your system to your room and the extra power is gold. Ht receiver amplifiers just dont cut it. The Klipsch stuff is just better that the current HT recievers and deserves better. My ultimate ht power amp for my Ht setup would be a 7 channel carver or Mcintosh in the 250-300 WPC range

My biggest surprise in this whole deal was the HT setup with the big power separates 250WPC-fronts and centers- 200 WPC rears- 150 WPC sides using K horns-Lascalas and Cornwalls. I was convinced(before hand) that the amps were way too much for these highly efficent heritage speakers which will run you out of town in 2 channel mode with the volume barely cracked with 2 channel specific amp/preamp equipment- the exception being the low powered tubes. It took some tweaking but the HT receiver- running pre outs into the amps just seems to suck up all this ton of power- 1450watts- and distribute it to the speakers in a great fashion. I can turn the volume up well into the middle/mid high range- on my Ht receiver and the volume is not excessive. The room fills with sound and movie effects. The wow factor is off the charts. I had already planned to change these high powered amps for something more sensible when I bought the heritage stuff. After listening- NO WAY- I am keeping this stuff for HT and spendng my cash for a cool tube setup in a stand alone 2 channel setup. I will have to say in fairness that the 100 wpc HT reciever does work well by itself with the Heritage stuff. But still much better with the separates.