Klipsch Synergy F2 or Reference RF-10??

JoeBoogie

Hello all. I am new to this forum, and to the a/v world. I purchased a 42" Panasonic plasma around xmas and am looking to invest in some good sounds. I'm pretty set on purchasing an Onkyo TX-SR606 receiver because it has the features I like/need and is in my budget.

As for the speakers, I'm still deciding. I heard the F2's w/ a Synergy sub-12 at a local store and was pretty happy with them, but no one around here has the RF-10's to compare. I can get the F2's or the RF-10 (@ crutchfield) for about the same price. Which would be a better choice? Is the Reference series better than the Synergy? I am looking to get the best for the $$. I want good sound for movies and music, since it'll be playing both.

I am looking to develop this into a 5.1 surround by adding a center and some rears at a later time. My room is 13x19, hardwood, & leather couches, so not the best. The tv is in the middle of one of the 13' walls. The room does open to the kitchen and a cathedral stairway, so it is not closed off. But I plan on having the speakers longer than the house we are in.

Any help is appreciated. Maybe someone has already compared the two? Thanks!

Joe,

Welcome.

Too help you,so you won't have to Upgrade.............even though those are both great speakers, I think you should look at the

Reference RF 82 or RF 62 Models. I realize they cost more, but these will keep you from needing/wanting to upgrade for quite a while.

If you have your heart set on those two models, I would go with the F2's or even upgrade to the F3 Model...............

Good Luck and post some pics when you get setup.

EDIT: Price wise the RF 62's are 878 a pair, whereas the F2's are 760 a pair..............Just an Idea.

The F2's at my local ABC Warehouse are $558/pair. The F3 are $700/pair. The guy quoted a deal of $1250 for the Onkyo TX-SR606, (2) F2's, and a Synergy 12" sub, which I thought was a pretty good price. Although, he did take about $500 off the sticker total effortlessly and left me to wonder if I could barter him down more.

EDIT: Price wise the RF 62's are 878 a pair, whereas the F2's are 760 a pair..............Just an Idea.

If I couldn't find them for a cheaper price, the RF 62's at that price would be a budget buster.

But I am in similar thinking as you. I hate to spend $700 on something, whereas if I would have spent $900 I would have gotten a much better piece of equipment. I started of this adventure by purchasing, and quickly returning, a $150 Samsung HTiB. What a mistake! I then moved to the Onkyo 6100 HTiB, but after hearing the speakers I slid up to wanting the seperate receiver/speakers....and of course spending more $$.

Since I've mostly seen the Synergy series in the box-stores, I am assuming they are more "entry-level" than the Reference series. Is this the view of them? Like I said, I haven't found a place to listen to the Reference locally to judge myself.

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums.

Since I've mostly seen the Synergy series in the box-stores, I am assuming they are more "entry-level" than the Reference series. Is this the view of them?

That is correct.

I haven't found a place to listen to the Reference locally to judge myself.

Did you try using the Dealer Locator?

If you're stuck budget wise or for whatever reason on these two speakers, I would personally get the F2's. I just did a spec comparison, and the F2's will play just a tad louder, and can produce more bass than the RF's. I also almost got the RF10's, but went with the setup you see below, and don't regret it at all! for what it's worth, the sub 12 is one mean sub at it's price......

Compare the specs for yourself. Either speaker you choose, you'll have a great pair of speakers.............

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/rf-10.aspx

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/f-2.aspx