Advice needed re: KP-301

Cornwalled

Hello,

What can you guys tell me about the KP-301? I am looking for info about the original, not the II. What I would like to know mainly is, what does it sound like? To look at it, it reminds me of a pro version of the Cornwall, but I imagine the sound is different. On this thread, Steve Phillips mentions they are solid down to 36 Hz, which sounds like Cornwall territory.

The application would be for my brother to use in an unfinished basement, basically as speakers to rock out to while lifting weights, shooting pool, etc. Not critical listening, but he wants something that will put out good volume with good, punchy bass. He'll play stuff like Pearl Jam, Metallica, etc. on them. I'm thinking they would probably work out pretty well for that application. However, I wanted to get your thoughts on what they sound like. How would they sound compared to a Cornwall?

Also, what would a fair price be for a pair? These ones aren't the greatest lookers, they've been refinished with truck bed liner, but seem to be mechanically sound, which is all my brother wants. Looks aren't important for basement speakers.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

Jon, these would be GREAT for your application. I have Cornwalls and KP301's and they're pretty close. The cabinet and woofers are a bit diff, but otherwise they're pretty close. The horns are the same as found in a CWII. Got that great bass SLAM factor that kills with rock and roll. Much more authoritative bass than smaller KP201 or KP250's. They are very solid for an all-in-one PA cabinet.

If you insist on ridiculous bass, augment them with a mid sized sub.

If it helps you any, out of all the speakers in my collection, I use my KP301's most often in my new workshop. I have them on a dolly so I can roll them around easily. They don't take up too much floor space and when on a workout bench, the horns would be right at head level!

For working 'uglies' I'd give $300-$350 per pair.

Michael

Thanks for the advice guys! I was hoping I'd hear from you Micheal, as I thought you had a set of these. I see the Chorus connection now, as they are smaller than the Cornwall. I'm glad to hear about the bass slam. I have a feeling he won't need another sub, he just doesn't want the sound to be "thin". He's looking to make his purchase soon, so whatever he goes with, he'd like to wrap it up within a week.

Now the next question, what to power them with? I don't think tubes would be the best option for this situation, as (1) he isn't listening critically, and (2) he wants something that's going to be affordable, as he needs to keep it under $1000. I'm thinking a decent used solid state amp? My Dad has some used audio gear that he could probably get cheap. One is a Carver CMV-1185 integrated amp, which is about 80 W/ch. However, this is a Dolby Pro-Logic amp, so not really ideal for 2 channel, but it does have a bypass mode to run in stereo. Not a lot of poewr though. Another option is two Marantz MA6100 monoblock power amps, which are 125 W/ch. However, this would require a preamp, which my Dad doesn't have, so my brother would have to buy a used one from somewhere.

We're also interested in either Cornwalls or La Scalas if the price is right. Basically, he would need speakers, amp, and CDP for under $1000. I know this can be tough, but I think with the right deals on used gear, it should be able to be accomplished. The only thing I see going new with is the CDP, as used ones are dicey. Should I start a thread in 2-channel as well?

Any thoughts?

-Jon

for a workout room- use any receiver at around 80+ watts per channel. The only thing NOT to use would be a really cheesy receiver.

I power mine generally with a Crown PS200, similar to DC300IIA- which is a whopping 150 watts per channel. I usually have it about half way up in an enormous room and it's plenty.

Hi There;

If you really want solid bass from the 301 series try to find a pair of Klipsch CP1s ( Cornwall Pro Series 1 ) they were only produced for a short time and had a box about the same size as the Cornwall. Very hard to find but there must be some out there, they were also one of the flattest speakers that Kipsch produced at the time.

Good Luck Joey B

Hey Guys,

Well the search goes on for suitable speakers. I had bid on a set of KP-301s on ebay, but they ended up going over $450, which seemed to be pretty high for their condition, as mentioned earlier in the thread. Finding a set of CP1s sure would be great, but I doubt we'll find any if they are as rare as you say. We're also open to other brands (JBL, Altec, EV, etc.) The main requirement is something full range with good bass punch for rocking out a basement. As far as price, he'd like to keep it under $700 or so, because he's looking to get an amp for it as well and stay under $1000.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-Jon

Hi Jon,

Hop in your car and head for south Jersey. This pair of KP-3002's are available for $350. Not affiliated, yada, yada, yada . . . . .

The seller has listed the wrong model number. These two-way cabs use the K-48 woofer with the K-65 hf driver and sound quite good. The bass is not quite as deep as the CP-1's, but will work fine for rocking out a basement. I use a pair of these in my garage with KP-4000 woofers.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/ele/1013847597.html

• 1 year later...

I was wondering the same thing as I recently bought a pair of KP-301 at a very good price and heard that it was an industrial version of the Chorus but I wasn't sure. That is great to hear that the KP-301 is like the Chorus! The pair I bought looked terrible from the outside but after I refinished the cabinet with epoxy spray paint, it looks pretty sweet.They sound terrific, very powerful speakers. I heard they sold for $980 a piece when new, so they are a steal if you can find one at a great price.

I previously have a pair of La Scala but sold it because they were just too big for the house. I missed the LaScala ever since, so I wanted to find something smaller but still powerful. Cornwall or Chorus will set you back around $700 - 1000. Finding the KP-301 is a good compromise. Certainly not as powerful as a La Scala but adequate enough.