Sub Plate amp vs Crown XTi for powering a DIY Sub??

G.Kennedy

Hey all....

I am scouring the web these days, compiling info on subwoofers. I need something to keep up with La Scalas. I have narrowed it down to a sealed DIY cabinet .... of about 4cu ft.

My current 2 top choices are:

CSS SDX15 using a Corwn XTi1000 ( that I already own)

or

Rythmik Audio DS1500 using their servo plate amp.

My main question is .... being a sub newbie, Do I need the extra functions that are on the Plate amp??? Things like Phase shift, pass band stuff, rumble filter,PEQ????

With the Crown, I will use the DSP crossover .... and maybe a bit of delay. Most likely my sub will not be inline with my La Scalas .... current layout will have it forward, more like a coffee table.

Thoughts?

I think the most important feature of a plate amp is the high pass filter. It'll help keep your driver safe when playing below the box's tuning frequency. It's especially important if you go ported as opposed to sealed. The adjustable phase is a nice feature to have in case you experience any cancellation with your mains. The PEQ is also nice to help tame room nodes. All of those features can be had with a pro amp but would have to be bought seperately.

High pass filters are a MUST with vented subwoofers(to roll off signal below tune). As over excursion below tune is not uncomon. It does not take a huge amp to damage a sub driver when the driver hits mechanical limits hard or at repetition.

To understand do some modeling and you will see what happens below tune,how the moving assembly unloads with a few watts.

With sealed a high pass filter is not needed. In fact I do not use high pass filters with my sealed subs. The point where I reach mechanical limits of the drivers is where you are in the single digits and aproaching amp max output. A non issue in the real world.

I would select the Rythmik DS1500 as the driver/amp are matched no perfection. The SDX15 deserves much more than the XTi1000,the XTi4000 et the elast or...better QSC PLX2 3402.Plus an outboard crossover(for PEQ,phase and high as well as low pass filtering).