tangent 500

kgram7

Hi,

I recently purchased a pair of Tangent 500 speakers. I amd trying to find a power source for these. Everyone is selling the home audio multi channel stuff. I am a 70's girl and don" know beans about that stuff. I used to own a Kenwood super eleven and loved it. I brought it back from Germany. I kept it till it quit working 4 yrs ago. I have no idea what to look for to do these speakers justice. Been looking on ebay but have no clue what to buy.Should I be looking for a two channel or or multi channel receiver? Need some help.

Thanks

If you have any plans at all to set up a home theater for movies (requires at least 5 speakers and subwoofer), then get a multichannel receiver. As I am sure you know, playing movie/DVDs in such a HT will offer surround sound, with discrete soundtrack material coming from any or all speakers/channels, although most material comes from the front three (left-center-right) speakers and the sub.

Even if you aren't interested in HT, low end multichannel receivers are not much more $ than low end stereo receivers, and having one will allow you the option of adding speakers for HT in the future. Note, however, that technology is changing rapidly, and MC receivers only a couple of years old typically don't have the connections (HDMI, etc) that new TVs and other components will use in the near future.

That said, if you are fairly certain that you won't expand to HT in the near future, then obviously go with a stereo receiver. Most major brand lines still offer a 2-ch only receiver. There will be a huge range, starting around $100 and going into the stratosphere. Many people here like the old style stereo receivers of the 70s and 80s, like your dearly departed Kenwood. The only problem is that anything that old may need service or parts, which can be scarce. For new receivers, you might look at Amazon, selecting/filtering to only 2-ch receivers, and reading the user reviews. Items often have only few user reviews, but they can be useful in identfying dogs, or ones which gave owners trouble. One more point: you don't need a superpowered receiver, as Klipsch speakers are efficient (sensitive), and play loud even with low power.