HT remote suggestion/help **UPDATE**

InVeNtOr

carbon, is there any other differences between the 550 and 720? can't find it at logitech. from what i just found it's only $29.01 more for the 720. it was under refurb catagory, but when you go to it, it says "new" so i guess it will be 50/50 what i would get. i am going to see if i can find a 550 and see how i like it in my hand.

I was told the 720 was made to be sold directly to Walmart and maybe Target so it doesn't show up on their website. I got mine off of ebay so who knows where it came from. Like I said before for the money its a great remote. I felt dumb paying what I did for the One and even now I think at times I should just sell it and use the 720. But just like anything else its hard to go back wards once you've had something.

They both have color screens but the One's is a touch screen. Its easy to hit the wrong touch screen button or the arrow that toggles between screens when you're using it if you're not careful. I kind of preferred the buttons on the side of the screen on the 720. The 720 shows 6 activities on the screen at a time and the One only shows three so you have to toggle more to get to the activity you're looking for. If the One was cheaper it would be a no brainer. But that said I'd pay $190 for the One long before I'd pay $130 for an 880. Again my opinion, but the button layout on the 880 just isn't the best. One thing I did like about the 880 was it shows 8 activities at one time so I never had to toggle between screens, but on the other hand the 880 was the first color Harmony and has the worst resolution screen of any of them (but your not viewing pictures on it so I guess who really cares!!)

I'd say if you're second guessing the One because of price try the 720 and if you don't like it you could sell it here or on ebay (I'd start here, between ebay and paypal fees its hard for a guy to come away with much) and then get the One. I've got them both in front of me and can't help but to feel like a fool for spending so much more on the One since the 720 was a pretty good remote. Buttons on the 720 are a little smaller than I'd like but at least they are spaced out where the 880 they are side by side. But other than having to be accurate when pushing buttons on the touch screen which isn't a big deal when you get used to it I totally love the One. The buttons are just so right, I'm sold again on it as I hold it in my hand. Its just right. I figure I'll own it for quite a while so why worry about spending a little more for something I'll be happy with for years rather than living with one I got a good price on?

I probaby have not helped your decision at all and reading that took a few minutes of your life you'll never get back. Sorry!! [:$]

I posted that and saw you asked about the 550 vs the 720.

I liked the 550 but for a little more you get a color screen that shows two more activities on it. If you look at a picture of the 550 the thing I didn't like about it the most is where the DVR/DVD buttons are (play, FF, Rewind, pause, etc). You use them a lot more than you think, especially if you have a DVR or listen to CDs. Its a pain where it is on the 550 and the 720 brings it back to the bottom of the remote where I think all the other Harmony's have them.

I think Tommyboy has a 550 and has said he likes it, hopefully he or another happy 550 owner jumps in to play devils advocate. It is a good remote but I think for the difference in price the 720 is worth it IMHO.

post-33518-1381944635912_thumb.jpg

well since money is tight i my change my mind and get the 720. like you said if i don't like it, i can sell it here, take a little hit on it and get the one. i am not to picky when it comest to remotes, and i really really really hate to admit this, but i have small hands. it's weird, i am bigger guy, but i have small thin fingers and smaller hands. i wear size medium gloves.

i guess having little hands helps me out a lot, i work on aircraft and there is someplaces that are so tight, most people can't get their hands in there, i usually don't have problems. one of my co-workers, we call him "sausage hands." i swear his fingers are the size of small bratwurts!

anyways.....lol

The madness continues at my house.

Like I mentioned before my son likes my One and keeps saying he wants an "cool remote" for his room. The nice thing about Harmony remotes is like Tommyboy mentioned about they are mommy proof the also are kid proof. You don't have to worry about them pushing buttons or changing settings. If he wants to watch a movie on the big TV he presses "watch move" and everything turns on and is set to the right settings. Anyway so I was thinking I should give him my 720 to use. The hold up on that is he has a pretty cheap TV with few inputs so I'm using a source switch to go between his PS2, DVD and Wii. The 720 would turn the TV on and put it to the right input but he'd still have to change the switcher manually. Well not anymore!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Selector-Composite-Connections-Wireless/dp/B00062NHTS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I could program the 720 could control that switcher and it would control his PS2 and DVD/VHS player. The only thing it wouldn't turn on is his Wii but the Wii controller will do that so no big deal. I don't think he ever uses his DVD player, he just uses the PS2 to watch movies. This is so unnecessary its ridiculous but I love playing with this stuff!!!

I'd offer to sell you my 720 just to 1. stop me looking at it wondering if I should just sell the One whiles its still worth something and use it and 2. to stop me from wasting $40 on that switcher. I'd want about $60 plus shipping so I don't know if you'd really come out ahead depending on what shipping would be. Mine was used for about two weeks and has nothing wrong with it. If you lived closer I'd just let you borrow it and then you could decide if you liked it or wanted to go with the One.

I like the fact that they're "mommy proof". She can push one button, lets say "watch a movie", and it turns on the receiver, tv, and BD player ONLY, and sets everything to the proper settings. Or push "listen to cd's", and it turn off the TV, BD player, turns on the cd player, and switches the receiver to CD. All with just one button. No more phone calls at work asking how to turn on a movie, or switch a movie to listening to cd's............

Ha! The no more phone calls at work is classic! At least once a week I spend 10 minutes explaining how to get the bluray player on or how to turn on the satellite! I had a Harmony with my AVR-745 and didn't care for it. I'm not sure what the model number was, but it would do all of the stuff listed above (turn on ps3, receiver, then tv) - the problem was the remote wasn't comfortable and it was very confusing trying to mess with settings in the AVR or the TV or whatever. I found myself not using it and instead just using the "factory" remotes for all of my gear. Things may have changed since then, but I definately didn't care for it.

ordered the harmony 720 last night. it said new, but was under referb catagory. i guess i will find out in a few days. even went to the site and it only said "new." who knows.....

i was going to look and touch a 550, but no one in my area had one (bb, frys). like it was said eariler, if i don't like it i can always sell it later.

thanks for all the help, especally directing me to the 720, didn't know it existed. from what i can tell, its the middle man between the 550 and One. i really don't care about a touch screen, so the only difference is going to be button placement.

As far as that remote controlled switcher idea I've already tossed that idea out. I ordered another cord that allows you to hook up a wii/ps2-3/xbox360 from monoprice when I was ordering some cables so I won't even need a switcher now.

Darn Harmony's do so much it makes me want to find excuses to use their ability!!!

• 3 weeks later...

wanted everyone to know that i finally got the 720 in. it's set up and done. had to call tech to figure out a few bugs. got those fixed in a few minutes. i ended up paying ~$85. it was a refurb, but it looked brand new.

it works great, feels great, looks great, and.....didn't break the bank!

thanks for pointing out the 720 to me. saved me some real coin.

Carbon,

could you help me out again? i have a question about the One and 720. the 720 has several "clicking" buttons, i think it's all the silver ones, does the One have any "clicking" buttons. i figured it would bother the wife, but i was wrong, it kinda gets to me. especally when it's quite, then the clicking gets really annoying.

thanks again.....

I like the URC company's remotes. Also keep in mind if you have RF you'd like to control it takes a special remote. I see many people with there ceiling fan remotes still on their tables yet they have a universal remote. If they'd just have gotten the right model they'd be down to one.

I've had the Harmony 550, 880, 720 and now the One. What can I say I'm not afraid to try things out and see what I like!!!

I liked the 550 but could see where the button placement could be improved.

I went to the 880 next and it was my least favorite of them. The buttons are small and placed really close together. Hard to use without looking at it.

I loved the 720. It had everything I liked about the 550 and fixed the button issues I didn't like about it. Some of the buttons have a cheap clicking sound to them. If you look at a picture of one its the silver buttons. Volume, channel and others. It made the remote seem cheap. I saw it mentioned in reviews before I got it and thought they were being petty but it ended up bugging me too. I still own this one but don't use it. My son is fascinated with my One so he may get the 720 for his room. He is getting quite a nice setup for a soon to be 7 year old just by getting my leftovers!!

The Harmony One was the remote I didn't want to own due to price. You can find 720s for a third of the cost and the One isn't three times better in the big picture. But the One IMHO does have by far the best button layout and you find you're using it without looking at it relatively fast from when you first pick it up. I was trying to save money and tried many others but in the end after using each of the above for a few weeks I gave the One a try and have not looked back.

In truth I think any Harmony remote you go with you'll love. I know I'll never go back to having regular remotes. Keep the old ones handy. I still use my receiver or my TV remote when I'm playing with settings. Its just easier for the now and then stuff but for day to day movie watching or music listening I only use the Harmony. I'd go to a Best Buy or some where like that that is going to have a few display models so you can hold them in your hand and feel how each works for you. Like was mentioned before the setup is computer based if you're comfortable with that and I'll also say that Harmony has awesome tech support that you can call toll free for the first 60 days. I'd guess you'll have all the bugs worked out in two months!

Sorry Inventor, I warned you! I wanted to keep the 720 so bad because of the price and it does everything I wanted a remote to do but the clicky buttons really bugged me!!! Thats how I finally said the heck with it and pulled the trigger on the One.

That said if I put my 720 up for sale in the garage which I might I'm sure it wouldn't bug anyone but you and I!!! [:P]

see thats what i get for not reading and absorbing the material. i have to say it bugs me, but not that much. i think i am too cheap to go out and spend $100+ more on the One so there isn't any clicking.

as far as the rest of the info, you were dead on about the 720. i would agreee if there was anything wrong with it, it would be the clicking buttons, but other than that, perfect remote.

i was first excited about the One and the touch screen but then i didn't like how you only had 3 choices and then had to page over. i really like how i have all 6 macro camands on the 720, with one "click" (ha ha no pun intended) i can go to that activity, instead of paging over.

thanks again for all the helpful input.