Saturday is the day

winchester21

Heading down the Interstate to meet Coytee for the exchange. Took the little lady out last night to Dean & delucia's$$$$$ for sushi and champange. More of my audio funds gone. I call it cheap life insurance. All she knows at this point is that i will have some new/USED(not very expensive) speakers.

I took great care to hide the hienkel kitchen knives before I Left.

The things we go through to get STUFF!!!!!!!!!

I don't think he's left home yet and I'm sure he's aware.... it looks like he's going to be driving in the rain all the way here. The good news is, the heavy rain that we had last night (and seems to be working towards him) has abated and as best I can tell, will now clear up.

I'll be intrigued to see how much he laughs at my little cartridge carrier.

Part of this is an Ortofon MC20 MKII BUT, unlike the Grado, this has no carring box to keep it safe. It does have a little flip down cover to protect the needle however, one wrong move could ruin both of those parts...

what to do, what to do...

Oh, I WAS simply going to mount it on the table however, the mounting screws I have screw directly into the Grado but need nuts to mount the Ortofon. I don't have those nuts.

Sooooooooooooooooo, I got a 1x4 piece of wood... drew a little outline of the cartridge on it, drilled a hole. I got a jigsaw out and cobbed a hole, approximating the shape of the cartridge where it would fall into this slot sideways.

I then took two more piece of wood (all these are about 5" in length) and put them on top AND bottom, sandwiching the cartridge into a little nest. I then put a screw in the bottom that connected all three panels however, the top/bottom will rotate away if/when need be and allow the extraction of the cartridge.

Now, he can probably throw the assembly like a baseball and still keep the cartridge safe. I debated on putting more screws in it, just to be an a** but figured this is good enough. I don't know that he'd appreciate having to take 45 screws out while debating my sense of security.

Well- the heritage goodies are in place and everything is working.We left the house at 7 am and rolled back into my driveway an 10 PM. We ate a quick dinner of baby back ribs washed down with Pilsner uqrell and started moving stuff/hooling up. We completed the instalation without a hitch ( IT CAN HAPPEN). Coytee- Richard had made this this "unusual little" case to hold the Ortofon cartridge. It looked llike Rubics cube or something.We all got a laugh over that. I had ordered a cargo van with a flat floor from Enterprise. Instead I got a 15 pasenger church van looking POS that had seat mounts that stuck up everywhere and caused a number of issues loading/unloading. I am going to have a word with someonw about this on Monday. OF course it was not ready when we got there and someone had to remove 4 rows of seats. If you ever embark on a similar project- like moving 2k horns- 2 Lascallas, a sub, a plie of components, and misc stuff- make sure you have a proper vehicle with a flat floor. This turned into a major PIA. The trip was murder but the stuff is now safe in my living room.

The wife was tired and hungry when we got in. We ate dinner and she went to bed - hardly noticed the move in ----YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! We went out the night before and I dropped a couple hundred on a V - day dinner. I also took her out to breakfast early Sat morning. I would reccomend similar action when making a major purchase of large components that would attract her attention

This was a 15 hour deal not counting unloading/installing.. I got to bed at 3AM this morning. I don't want to hear anybody whining about a 5 or 6 hour round trip to pick up components.

A million thanks to Richard for killng his whole Sat to make this thing happen. Thanks for negoating a deal that would benefit both parties. .Richard is typical of the first class people that you meet on this forum. If anybody is loonikg at his stuff on the garage - I can attest to the quality and condition of the items as much better than described

I will share my thoughts on the K horns-Lascallas in another thread.