Panamax 5300

Craig6519

Does anybody have any expierience with any panamax models? I'm particularly interested in the 5300 mainly because i can get a good deal on it. At the moment I have no type of surge protection/line conditioner in my system, your opinions would be appreciated.

Craig

------------------

Klipsch KLF30 Mains (OAK)

Klipsch KLF-C7 Front Center (OAK)

Klipsch KLF-C7 Rear Center (OAK)

Klipsch KSP-S6 Surrounds

Dual SVS 20-39CS+ Sub's

Samson S1000 Sub Amp

H/K AVR 520

(2)Acurus 200x3

Yamaha MDX-793 Mini disc

Sony CDP-C701ES 5 disc Player

Sony S565D DVD

Hitachi MX6080EM Muli-system HI-FI VCR

Hitachi 29" T.V.

There has been several posts in the past of this forum pro and con on surge protectors and line conditioners. I have a Panamax 1000+ mainly for peace of mind. Some posters feel that surge protectors will detract from the music, particularly the highs because of the line conditioning feature found in some units. My 1000+ has such a feature but, I have not noticed and significant difference in the sound of my system. I'm not familiar with the particular model that you are looking at, but I have had good service so far out of mine. I have had a surge that causes the Panamax to kick in.

------------------

Bill J.

My Music System

oh great colin, i missed that thread at xmas & now here i am w/ everything running off my hts-2500. now i'll have to do the amp plugged in directly test. Wink.gif

have been wondering if i'm burnin the hts-2500 as it's rated at 1800 watts max continuous, but i have a 20 amp outlet. well, the hts does have a breaker & it's yet to go off.

like you mentioned in that thread, it has a high current outlet for the amp. it's rated at 50A peak & 15A continuous. does have a "high power audio filter" then a relay.

my ears/thinking are already biased that i won't hear a

dif, but guess i'll have to try the test. albeit w/ a

regular extension cord as the amp's cord won't reach the outlet.

thanks for the link. cwm5.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

My bet (and bias) is that you're just fine. Definitely do the test just for peace of mind, but I'd rather run the risk of an indiscernible (to my ears) change in sound as opposed to the real world risk of having my electronics sacrificed due to random acts of the power company (and real acts of God).

Right after that posting in December, I was down at my folks house for Christmas. My old man would never part with the $$ associated with a good surge protector and line conditioner. Anyway, on Christmas night, the power dimmed for a second and then came back up. No one gave it a second thought. A couple of hours later, my wife turned on the TV in their living room, and several moments later, acrid smoke started billowing out of their bookcase! She grabbed our 5 month old and made a dash for the doors, as I carried a hot and smoking 27" TV to the back deck. Diagnosis on the repair ticket from the local shop: "Power surge destroyed power supply, causing catastrophic component failure".

BTW, he now has a Panamax powering his NEW TV.

Let us know how you make out.

Colin

------------------

My System

10-4 colin. thanks for the POM til I do the test. i did also get the power co.' surge suppressor at the meter. pay $5/mo for it (kinda a rip compared to buying).

the 20A breaker then comes after it. then the hts-2500. maybe that power load will just burn in the 2500' audio filter for the amp anyway. this b&k hog of an amp seems to be gettin all it needs & that's w/ only 6/7 channels runnin & the low bass cut at 50hz.

Wavey.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 02-13-2002 at 12:22 PM

ok i did the testing for about 1/2 hr w/ both cd & dvd music. bypassing the HTS, maybe a slight improvement in the mids/highs, but can't say for sure. definitely not a night/day dif w/ my stuff.

& definitely not worth a major revamping of my power layout as well as the reduced surge protection. all in all, the chilli peppers & ac/dc at -10db sounded great either way. cwm4.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

I just did the test with my McIntosh MC206 6 channel amp and my Rat shack Surge protector. 2600 joules of protection. I'm jumping in here because, I'm thinking of getting the Panamax 5500. I can't say that I heard any difference at all from a wall dedicated 30 amp circuit comparied to using the surge plugged into that circuit.

I was thinking of gettig one because, this new amp is producing a hiss and a slight buzzing sound from the tweeters. Thinking of seeing if I can clean up some of this AC noise, if that's what it is.

It's a big WOW! for me going to this amp for power instead of using the Yamaha RX-V3000 to power everything. Now the Yamaha is only powering the front effect speakers and an extra pair of rears.

Anyway, back to the noise. The McIntosh dealer talked me into tryng a WireWorld Aurora 3+ Power Cord for $200.00. Tonight I did some comparing with it and the stock cord.What a pain in the butt. Memorizing a CD. shutting everything down and changing power cords. I did this at least a dozen times each with 3 different songs. The WireWorld did nothing for the hiss and buzz. But, thank God it did something for $200.00. It did produce slightly better bass , mids and cleaner highs.

I think I have to start disconectind one piece of equipment at a time, maybe I can find out if anything is causing this noise.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

This message has been edited by Q-Man on 02-13-2002 at 07:35 PM

q, i get a lil hiss & buzz from my b&k pre/pro. not audible from the sweet spot & not at all w/ stuff playing.

totally rather have that & the sound clarity & excellence of discrete circuitry than being able to say like some my unit's "dead quiet" w/ my ear right next to the speaker & nothin goin. just me. cwm4.gif

i also get a lil rf from the speaker wires w/ a radio station only a few blks away. again only audible as above. a line conditioner won't help there. no biggy.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 02-13-2002 at 07:25 PM

q, oh yea w/o the cheaters i get a nasty buzz. no matter what i use w/ a 3-prong plug (acurus amp was much worse though). that's gotta be the best tweak per

$ i've used. the 50 cent cheater plug. as long as i don't get electrocuted. cwm35.gif

and please no ground loop advice anyone. i've been around & back 10 times on that topic as applied to my set-up. Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 02-13-2002 at 07:49 PM

Ahhh shucks, Boa...I like being able to get up on my ground loop soapbox every once in a while. Now you spoiled all my fun! cwm20.gif

Glad to hear there's no big audible difference with and without the HTS. Your components (and you wallet) will thank you.

Colin

------------------

My System

yea sorry colin that was a long, traumatic adventure w/ many loops of it's own (had 3 dif "electricians" here over the course). & w/ my picky ears & situation it was beyond the isolators. cwm5.gif

i may still check into a longer & better power chord for the amp. nothin real high $ though. then i guess it wouldn't pay to run it thru the hts. think i need an amp fan too. always something. cwm6.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page