In-Wall Center Channel Problem

razz589

I currently have my home theater setup with a Panasonic 50 inch plasma wall mounted with Klipsch RVX-42 as LCR speakers also mounted on wall with the center RVX-42 mounted below the TV.

I plan to install a front projector along with a ceiling mounted acoustic electric screen so that it comes down in front of the Panasonic plasma.

What I would like to do at this point is to replace the RVX-42 speakers with in wall speakers, howerver this is where the problem comes in.

The exact center of the TV and future projector screen has a concrete stud mounted behind it which causes a problem when installing a center channel in-wall.

I have thought of either installing 1 in-wall center channel to either the right or left of the concrete stud and installing just a matching grill to the other side for asthetic purposes..however that may cause the center channel sound to be off center.

-OR-

I have considered installing in-wall center speakers on either side of the stud but have been told that this would not sound correct?

Also I would prefer to not install an on-wall speaker for the center channel.

Anyone have any comments or suggestions?

Thanks

Hi razz,

If your goal is to replace the RVX-42 with "better" in-walls, you could build a small surface-mount cabinet for the center in-wall and it could be mounted above or below the TV. The L & R in-walls could be placed wherever appropriate.

If you concern is with the screen, you could keep your RVX-42's mounted as-is and get and acoustically transparent screen to go in front of both the TV and the RVS's. Chris Seymour at seymourav.com is very helpful and their screen material is outstanding.

http://www.seymourav.com/

No affiliation with Seymour, just a very satisfied customer.

Thanks bhendrix and youthman

I may try to use the Klipsch in-wall 5502 speakers for LCR and since the concrete stud is in the exact center I may try to notch the stud enough so that the horn will not hit it and hopefully the 2 woofers in the 5502 will straddle the stud on either side.

If this does not work then I may take your suggestion bhendrix and build out the center just enough to clear the stud for the center speaker.

Not sure exactly what you mean youthman about combing with 2 center speakers but I take it you have experience with this potential problem and since you are the second person to tell me to stay away from 2 centers.....I better!

Thanks again!

• Moderators

Not sure exactly what you mean youthman about combing with 2 center speakers but I take it you have experience with this potential problem and since you are the second person to tell me to stay away from 2 centers.....I better!

Me neither. [:P] I believe Colter can explain what it is though.

Me neither. Stick out tongue I believe Colter can explain what it is though.

Really simply put, the sound waves from the two horns will arrive not only at different times (if you are anywhere but dead center) which will blur the sound image, but the sound waves will interfere with each other.

An option might be to use two speakers near the center position, but with horns towards each other, and disconnect one of the horns. This will give similar (but not tested) results as most box type center speakers that are W-H-W in design.