Heresy blown crossovers ???

Rebelbygrace

Hello Klipschie gurus, can anyone tell me the symptoms of a blown crossover? I have 2 sets of Heresey's one set I bought back in the 70's they sound superb, just like the day I bought them, I bought another set about a year ago off e-bay, they only have about 1/2 the loudness as my old ones, so I was wondering if that might be a sign of blown crossovers. Any advice?

Thanks

Rebelbygrace

For your question, I'll assume you have a single amplifier with an "A" and a "B" speaker switch. Make sure both are on the same amplifier and pick one song with which you are familiar. Play the first pair, then disconnect and attach the "problem pair". See what happens. If no change, then look at the amp's "B" circuitry as the problem.

If the "problem pair" still shows low volume.... Stick your ear in each driver and make sure that the drivers are working. Don't turn it up too loud, just enough to see if the drivers are working.

If the tweeters or midranges are not working; Pull the drivers and make sure the wires are connected; if connected, unplug and re-plug the connectors and check again. If the driver(s) still don't work, then it's a driver problem. The H-II has a K-24 woofer, K-53/701 midrange horn combo and a K-76 tweeter.

If the drivers are working, then likely there is a crossover problem. If they were purchased on eBay and shipped.... and dropped, the drop could have caused the crossover components to become dislodged from terminal cup. You would be able to see that by removing the woofers.

If you see no damage, then try swapping a crossover from one of your good pair with one of the "problem pair" and see if the problem resolves. If so then you have pretty much narrowed it down to the crossovers.

For crossover assistance, you can contact Bob Crites (BEC on the forum), bobcrites@mac.com for advice on repair, etc.

An additional item to check, if you are inclined to open the backs, is to observe what color letters are used on the crossover metal strip. There are ones with black lettering, and ones with red lettering. Difference being one was determined to have improperly connected drivers and an article in the dope from hope notifed of the change. Later crossovers with the change had different color lettering. If you have onepair with red lettering and one pair with black lettering, you probally have one pair correctly wired and another pair with the original inverted connection condition.

The best way to test an individual driver, after the listening test above, is to use a multimeter. If the resistance is "open" (Infinity) the driver needs a new diaphragm. If it is not open, tell us the reading and we can likely tell you if it is normal. Second best is ti use a AA battery to test a driver. Hold one lead firmlyto one terminal and scratch the otherlead on the other terminal. If you hear scratching, the driver is in pretty good shape.

I bought an old Model H that sounded like you describe. The crossover capacitors were dried out and bad. I had to replace them. It's not hard, but you'll need to know how to solder.