While we're on the subject of Cornscalas...

rll

Thanks Mike! It's been a learning experience, and a fun one at that. The only thing I can compare them with directly, meaning a side-by-side A/B test, is my upgraded KG4s (that have been relegated to zone 2/basement duty for the time being). I first assembled them three weeks ago in the basement. My first listening test was in the basement with Dark Side of the Moon (SACD, but in stereo). I could tell right away that the bass was far superior, and thought the mid range and upper were. So after ten minutes or so we lugged them upstairs for a direct comparison. Going back and forth, even my wife could hear the difference, and going in I did not think she would.

So what did we hear? Place your hand over your mouth and speak, that's what the KG4s sound like in comparison, muffled. They are a fine speaker, but the Cornscalas are so much more clear and open. The bass is deep and full, but the mid range is where they really shine. Piano and sax are probably where it is most noticeable, absolutely clear. Yesterday afternoon I played Andrea Bocelli's Vivere dvd. Lang Lang does a solo piano piece just over half way through. That Steinway sounded lifelike, as though it was in the room. Some time I'd like to do a comparison with some Cornwalls. I'm tempted to cart them over to friend's for a comparison with his Lascalas. He's heard them and we both agree they out perform his on the lower end and are close behind in the midrange.

I've also noticed their efficiency. I'm driving them with a Denon 2808. It effortlessly drives them to levels that scare the you know what out of the cats.

Randy

Button them up. Later I'll line them with some batting, but don't have it yet. Miscalculated the amount of weather stripping to seal the back covers, so will have to come back and do that at the same time the batting goes in. Ready to make some music!

post-29544-13819447340772_thumb.jpg

Still need to build the grilles.

I don't have a lot of pictures documenting the building of the cabinets, but later on I'll try to back fill a bit on the process and lessons learned.

Again, thanks to those who inspired me to undertake this project. Listening to them, well it's been well worth the time and effort!

Randy

post-29544-13819447341422_thumb.jpg

Randy, I sure hope mine come out as good as yours, I'm scared to death they'll sound like crap.

I will be able to compare with Cornwalls, LaScala's and Belles`, I let you know what sound best.

Later

CB

Cigarbum,

I had the same fears, but put a lot of trust in Bob and the others who have gone before us. Still, the fear was there. Looking back, there were really only two unknowns - how the cabinets would come together and what the mid-range horn would sound like. If either didn't work out, I could use the rest for something else. The cabinets being MDF, the only real investment I had in them is time; the horns are inexpensive.

I've said to the wife "can you believe I made these?" Now that they are done, I've got an inkling to build a pair of cabinets using some cabinet grade plywood or something. I won't scratch that itch for a while, I think I/we will enjoy these for a while. Part of me would also like to try building a mid-range horn, but that would really stretch my skills. Maybe someday. While I was in the market a month ago for mid-range drivers, I ran across a local Craigslist ad for some k-401s. I inquired whether they came with drivers and the response was they did not. Turns out, the guy had just made some horns for his Lascalas, that's why he was selling the k-401s.

I've been following your progress, I think you'll be very pleased. I'm sure you'll let us all know how they stack up with the others.

Randy

Those look outstanding, you should be proud.

By the way, what's your impression of your CSIIs compared with your Cornwalls?

They beat the cornwalls (which were freshened up by BEC a couple years ago) in every way imaginable, to me. My problem is I like fast tight bass so I can't get lascalas out of my mind. I use a sub and generally listen to multi-channel dvd concerts. The recording mixes just sound better to me.

Arky,

Thanks for the compliment. Having been a first attempt at anything remotely close to this, I am very happy with the way they turned out. There are a couple things I learned that I would do differently. In fact, I may build a second pair of cabinets down the road and move the parts to that pair, then put these aside until I build a theater room in the basement, then resurrect them to use as rears. We'll see, I plan to enjoy them for a while. Spring is approaching and I like to be outside as much as possible, and I've got the Senior Games in August to get ready for.

I did not make the connection that you bought a pair of Bob's CSIIs. It would make sense that they beat your Cornwalls, Bob thought the same thing when compared to his Cornwalls. You are correct about the Pyle Pro being no longer available. I searched far and wide with no luck, finally went with the PH-800, which I got from Bob.

I agree with you about the concert DVDs. Among our circle of friends, we were the first to pick up a Bluray player. Most, even though they really enjoy music, don't have a quality audio system. We had a few people over sometime around Labor day. Later on I put on Gilmour's Remember That Night. Even with the KG4s, several were riveted. I want to invite a few over to audition the twins, I think they'll be blown away.

Randy