Tube rolling?

What does it mean "Tube Rolling".

Assuming, as I intuitively sense, that it means trying different tubes to explore subtle variations in sonic manifestations, I would like to know some examples of typial substitutions. I do understand that many discussions of substitutions have simply to do with manufacturer brands and vintage where it is obvious that it is simply a matter of changing the tubes. I assume that the most common substitutions of actual tube type do not require any rewiring in the circuit, but are there also some typical substituitions which are done that do require this.

For example, could one simply substitute any of these output tubes in any amplifier without rewiring the circuit, and are there other typical "families" of similar lines of substitution.

KT 88

EL34

6L6

6V6

KT 90

KT 66

Generally I would like to know more about what I hear the tubers (bulbies) discussing in this regard.

-rhizomed and cormed

For me, tube rolling is limited to tubes from various manufacturers and/or vintages of the same general type. I only roll tubes that are compatible with my existing equipment and don't require changes to the circuits ('cuz I am not able to sling solder well enough to make changes).

My Moondogs are able to run the KR 2A3s at a higher voltage to bring the power up to ~5wpc but it does require a change to the circuit and it would burn up "normal" 3.5wpc 2A3s "like candles" (as described in another thread).

I'll leave the more difficult aspect of your inquiry to the more knowledgeable "bulbies" (tube heads?).

------------------

Ed W