Klipsch- a- thon in the Bay Area

Hi guys,

I apologize for being an illegal character in the path and an unhandled exception. It won't happen again, I promise. But please let me at least read the thread to see what you are saying behind my back, lol.

Clipped & Shorn

This thread has been clipped and shorn from my view for some reason. What's going on?

Illegal characters in path.

Description: An
unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web
request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the
error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the
current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of
the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path.]
System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission.HasIllegalCharacters(String[] str) +2754582
System

I think I spelled my name "Fontley" or something.

I did try to upload a picture that had a question mark in the file name (critical?listening.jpg). Could that be it? Is it the question mark (that's the question, Mark)? Huh?

?

Seriously, I did learn a few things at the get-together.

1. possibly to utilize my recently retired iMac as a bank for music, ala the "server" concept, for the studio on the hill where I don't have access to all my CDs. a friend and fellow musicologist offered to fill a hard-drive with an accumlative compilation of nearly the entire history of latin music. Unbelievable how quick he can find something compared to my getting lost in the stacks looking for the misplaced piece.

I do still also enjoy the library work, gives me something to do while listening to a whole album in order to locate some idea I vaguely remember from one of the tracks, eg. more the musicological mode than simply sitting in the sweet spot for pure enjoyment. A question might be something like: what is the earliest recording of the typical piano quajeo in a Cuban recording...etc. not exactly something you do by googling....

At least not until we ourselves post the answer.

BTW, if you have any interest in this area of musicology, check out my friends amazing online and ongoing "book":

http://www.timba.com/artists/bookpre/index.asp

2. possible usefulness and economy of LaScalas, folded horn bass,the one thing I don't have here with all my BRcabs including Cornwalls, is the horn loaded bass, which I somtimes miss listening to small group jazz....

eg. at the meeting, we directly compared within a matter of minutes, Bob's great "cornscalas" and Josh's Belles, in the middle of some Blue Note Dexter from Josh's collection. I could hear exactly the difference the horn loaded bass made, a subtle quality I simply do not get with any of my wonderful umpteen Bass Reflex designs around here. Sometimes that focused bass is a nice touch, one of the spectrum areas PWK's contribution is unquestionably dramatic. (oth, seems like so many conclude wanting to upgrade/modify those mid range horns though.....)

c7s

Ok what happened here. I come back to see two threads with the title that I started. Then I find that my original post turned into some gobelty goop. Heaven only knows what was said about me in that post! Did Gregg or Myron break the forum? What happened?

Josh

Josh,

Fini did it! Fini did it![6]

And after I wrote in and said all those GOOD things about your hosting, and I bashed Dave Mallete for his slam on OUR bay area. [;)]

Thanks again for the loan of the Mullard and Rega Apollo. It's a great combo, my system has NEVER sounded better. I've got to do some serious thinking; I need to sell off some of my collection.

D

Mark,

Josh has moved on to his Olive Music Server, and I must say, it sounds very nice.

I have 2 cd players, both Marantz. My better one is the SA 8260. Good detail, but a touch brittle to my ears. I also get a fair amount of no-plays due to read errors. My other one is a multi-disc CC 65SE. A nice player, but maybe a little muddy. I scored it for 5 bucks at a community garage sale, in pristine condition. One of my all time best audio scores for the money, hasn't given me any trouble (knock wood)! It sold for $500-600 in its day.

The Apollo is in a different league, very silky AND detailed. I've been reading a bit about some people having trouble with read errors, how has yours held up?

D

Hey Mark,

I know it sounds like I am moving to the dark side, but the server does sound pretty darn good. I run it through a benchmark DAC. All the music is lossless so it is the same as the original CD. I found that the ability to access and control the server from any computer in the house, and find any CD, as well as the ability to put together play-lists is pretty cool. Another cool deal is the Internet radio opportunity. Listening to a Classical station from Vienna is kind of nice, as was Christmas music from London. In addition to the main server, which looks like a cd player, I have a satellite player in my bedroom that allows me to access all of my CDs and Internet radio from there as well. Since I got it, I don’t think I have used another CDP. It really works well. I’m not giving up vinyl listening but for digital stuff it's hard to beat. It’s also a great place to store 2000CDs

Josh

Josh, sorry I broke the other thread. Don't know m'own strength!

bullwinkle_bg1.jpg

Hey, that Olive server is sweet! I love the interface and ease of use. BTW, I haven't yet had a chance to try out the crossovers you lent me, but will as soon as I get my Pcats back in the system (later today or tomorrow?).