When is a center channel necessary on K-horns?

Triode Pete

At what distance apart is a center channel necessary for K-horns for better sonic imaging? My K-horns are about 17 ft apart and I'm thinking about putting a Heresy in between them as a center channel.

Any opinions or ideas on using a Heresy II as a center channel on my vintage 1974 K-horns? Also, how many dB down should the center channel be? I'm assuming ~ -3 dB down.

Thanks,

Pete

cwm15.gif

That also depends upon how far away from the KHorns you sit. If your room is, say, 20 X 20 and you're sitting about 15 feet in front of KHorns that are 17 feet apart, a center channel will probably provide a nice improvement in center fill, soundstage depth and improve the overall "continuity" of the sound.

If the room were, to take an extreme, 20 X 40, and you were sitting 35 feet away from KHorns that are spaced 17 feet apart, I don't think you'd need a center channel.

How're your speakers and room set up?

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

My room is ~ 18'L X 13" D X 8.5' H. (It adjoins a similar size dining room - I built a permanent 4' half wall to accommodate the left channel K-horn). At times, depending on the music selection, the stereo separation appears extreme. When some of my audiophile friends visit, they are blown away by the dynamics, inner detail, etc. but comment of the lack of imaging, particularly a center image.

Any comments or advice is appreciated.

Pete

Is the lack of centre imaging the same with all recordings or better with some and worse with others?

What receiver are you using?

Does the imaging change as you move further back? (in other words are you sure you are in the sweet spot?)

I think the idea of adding a centre channel is not a bad one - but I think we should evaluate all the no cost options first.

Further, whilst the Heresy is a good tonal match for the KHorns it may be drowned out by them.

Seemingly you plan to use this for music. Generally music surround sound systems recommend using all similar speakers (as opposed to movie surround sound systems). I would suggest that the best centre speaker for Horns would be the Belle Klipsch (unless you can cut an alcove in the middle of the wall for another KHorn).

Just my 0.02

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

2 * Homemade horn speakers (rears)

1 * REL Strata 3 sub

Accuphase E211 amp.

Tube monoblocks with separate pre-amp (solid state).

Marantz CD6000 player

Sony NS900 SACD/DVD player

Stax Headphones

Humax 5400 digital satellite receiver

Sharp Video

32" Sony flat screen 16:9 TV

Mogami interconnects

Silver Synergistic speaker cable

This will be a "no cost" option for me. I have a 2nd pair of Heresy's which aren't currently being used and I'm getting a vintage Marantz 7 preamp from a friend to use for the center channel. I have 2 "spare" monoblock 300B (or type 50 or 10) SET amps to use to power the center channel. I can attenuate the center channel by gain controls on the amp or preamp.

My system should be linked below;

http://cgi.AudioAsylum.com/systems/1176.html

The system images pretty good (depending on the recording) but I believe it can be improved.

Thanks for your comments,

Pete

Pete -

You sure you want to go with a center channel fill? I dont know; it seems to me that this would really take away some of the positives with soundstaging. I know 17ft is pretty far apart, however. Still, the idea of a center channel has never really seemed like a great thing, even though sir Paul liked it.

no other options?

kh

------------------

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

kh,

I'll try anything once, do anything twice. I'm real curious on how it'll sound with a center "fill". PWK considered the center channel to be a "curtain" or "waterfall" of sound continuous between left & right speakers.

Worse comes to worse, I can always get rid of the center Heresy.

Pete

With your extra amp and your pair of Heresy's if you dont like the centre channel effect you can always setup surround's.

This is very much what I have done but I have Heresy's at the front and homemade bookshelf speakers at the rear. I use this setup for both movies and surround sound music (SACD and DVD). I dont have a centre channe so I would rate it as excellent for SS music and acceptable for movies (in the sweet spot).

Just a thought. (another one)

Pete,

The concept for stereo with a mono L-R center channel was developed by Bell Labs way back. The ideal wall length was determined to be 17' as I recall, with a center speaker with flanking corner toe-in speakers. I have the literature around here somewhere from Bell. I will post when I dig it up. I believe Paul Klipsch used a Cornwall in his set up, but it sure looks like a Heresy in the attached pic doesn't it? Anyway I would think a Heresy would work fine except for ear bleeding volume levels. Keep in mind that the center should run 6db below the corners. Ideally a Belle would be best, but you already have the Heresy.... A pic of my set up is in the odd and mods thread. My wall is 20', and I notice a huge difference without the center. Fills the hole in the middle. Try it....You'll like it....

Thanks, MacKlipsch & others,

I plan on experimenting with the center channel on President's Day (Monday).

The Belle or Cornwall IMHO would be the the best center channel. I gave my brother-in-law my vintage Cornwalls when I got my K-horns. Wish I kept one...oh well!

MacKlipsch - your system is really cool! I used to have all McIntosh separates (but I kept my MR-78 tuner!) when I had my Cornwall system. Then I heard some homebrew single-ended triodes...that's another story. I'd appreciate looking at the Bell Labs literature when you post it.

Thanks,

Pete cwm16.gif

Pete,

Last week I moved into a different apartment and three days ago I managed to fire up my gear again. My Khorns are 5 metres (about 6,5 feet - sorry but transferring measurements isn't any of my strengths Smile.gif)apart and my sweet spot is pretty much on axis just over 9 ft. away from the Khorn's wall. I admit that I was really worried if such a room will work or if I'll end up with a hole in the middle. My fears were unfounded. What I have now is an unbelievably wide soundstage which doesn't lack depth. Performers can be clearly located and at last an orchestra has the space to 'breathe'! After all musicians hardly play on top of each other and with good recordings the presentation of the music is certainly awsome.

Of course you already have the necessary gear to experiment, but anybody out there wondering if a set up like mine will work, feel at ease.

Still, good luck with your experiment and let us know how things develop.

Wolfram

------------------

Without music colour becomes pallor, man becomes carcass, home becomes catacomb - Edgar Allan Poe

System:

1973 Khorns with ALK crossovers

REL Stadium II sub

Cayin 743 D integrated tube amp

McIntosh MR 77

McIntosh MCD 7007

Thorens 520S

SME 3012-R

Ortofon SPU Classic GM E

Cyrus aEQ 7 phono stage with PSX-R power supply

Alternative system:

Quad ESL 63

McIntosh MC 2105

McIntosh C29

Thanks to all for your helpful comments.

Set-up the center channel (Heresy II) late Monday night using a vintage Marantz preamp in mono mode and 300B SET amp (used a new KR 300BXLS -wow!)

Sounds very filling in the center. I know what they mean by a curtain or waterfall of sound. I'm still playing with the volume control to get 6 dB below the L & R channels. Any suggestions?

What a huge difference sensistivity makes: 104 dB K-horns vs. 96 dB Heresy II. Power ain't nothing but a number!

Right now, you can't really hear the center channel since it blends in with the L & R channels...sort of the analogy of having a great subwoofer that integrates well into a system.

Imaging is improved with a nice wide soundstage, hard to describe the curtain of sound. Only problem, the center channel appearance is low on the WAF. I asked my non-audiophile wife how it sounds. She said, "It sounds like the music is in the center now, not in the corners."

Have to get some audio buddies over to evaluate & tweak. Any suggestions for optimizing 3- channel (center-mono) playback?

MacKlipsch - if you could post the Bell paper on 3 channel reproduction, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks,

Pete

PS - Below is a link to my updated system

http://cgi.AudioAsylum.com/systems/1176.html

My alternate system is here:

http://cgi.AudioAsylum.com/systems/1177.html

Perhaps I am the lone loon out in the woods here and certain (I assume) PWK and others would disagree..but I cant help but think adding a mono channel to the center would completely foul the proper imaging of a recording. Yes, many people in here dont care about this but I surely do. And yes, you do get a WALL of sound, but this wall would not reveal the recording or the subtle cues of the soundstage. Combining both channels and feeding them mono would solve one problem and create another. I think the only real solution would be to listen on a shorter wall. Frankly, I think the center channel solution was a damn good idea when you made speakers that REQUIRED them to be placed in corners...and with some people having corners 20 feet apart, how else were you going to "fill" the center of the stage? I guess the problems with this could be reduced by the careful control of the levels as Pete explains. Still.... I am not exactly convinced. On the other hand, if you HAVE to put your Khorns near 20 fett apart, what choice is there? And no, I dont think it's a horrifying solution; I just dont think it will equal the same type of soundstage as done with proper stereo ie the soundstage extending back behind the plane of speakers. Personally, I have always tried to avoid having ANYTHING between my speakers and my best rooms were configured as such.

kh

ps- Good to hear the KR300 is better than the KR2A3. Perhaps they do need more voltage to come to life.

------------------

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

I certainly shouldn't type anything into a computer that includes numbers by the end of a very strenuous day. I just reread my previous post and noticed that 5 meters is more like 16.5 ft and not only 6.5Redface.gif.

Still, having listened to a few more records and CDs I cannot but confirm that my set up seems to work. The soundstage is really amazingly wide, but after all in real life most stages/orchestra pits are certainly wider than my livving room wall. And at last I get an aural perspective which resembles the distance of instruments I perceive during a concert (even though the scale is naturally diminished). And there is certainly no lack of depth behind the plane of the speakers!

Wolfram

------------------

Khorns, tubes and the right room: welcome to aural paradise!

System:

1973 Khorns with ALK crossovers

REL Stadium II sub

Cayin 743 D integrated tube amp

McIntosh MR 77

McIntosh MCD 7007

Thorens 520S

SME 3012-R

Ortofon SPU Classic GM E

Cyrus aEQ 7 phono stage with PSX-R power supply

Alternative system:

Quad ESL 63