To The Tube Guys

dbflash

Thanks to all the great discussions here lately about tubes I started looking around for a tube pre amp. I was looking for a used CJ PV10, Cary SLP50B or an AES-AE3.

Well after much looking and reading here and at AA I ordered a new AES-AE3 modified factory wired today. I didn't want to get the basic unit and three weeks from now start wondering what will it sound like if I upgrade the Caps, etc. I want to stop upgrading for awhile and just sit back and enjoy the music.

I am hoping this will take me to the next level of audio bliss.

I will still use my SS Parasound HCA 1500 amp, Rega Planet 2000 and my new pride and joys HeresyI's.

Thanks again for all the talk and information.

It should ship Monday. I'll let you know how it sounds in about a 100 hours (break in is every thing).

Danny

OK...just a quick note before that AE-3 ships off. If you got the AES stock oil upgrade caps then I would consider calling them up tomorrow morn and asking if Kirk if they could put some Jensen oil caps in place of the Audio One oil caps. I have heard some negative things about these caps in general. A lot of loons are pulling them and putting in Audio Note or Jensen oil caps.

Congratulations on the AES-3 three though. You might be looking as some tube upgrades as well to wring the most from that piece. There are a few who have it on the board and would be willing to share input.

kh

Hey Danny,

I have the AES AE-3 DJH version feeding my Moondogs, I think this combo is outstanding. I also tried a Cary SLP-74 with the Moondogs but I like the sound of the AE-3 much better...the Cary sounded dark to me compared to the AE-3 (I had both at the same time and I could A/B them).

I bought mine 2nd hand, I did have 1 small problem with the volume knob, it would stick at ~11 O'clock position and not go any further (off is ~7 O'clock). I loosened the set screw and pulled the knob out on its shaft a bit and it works fine now. Mind you I really didn't need it to go much past the point it was sticking, I get mid 90's dB's at ~18' at that position with my 3.5wpc tubes.

The other thing I notice is that if I have both my sources turned on (tuner and CD) I can hear the tuner when I am in the CD position if there is no sound coming from a CD (if I put my ear up next to the Khorns). The cross talk (is that what this is called?) is inaudible other wise, not a problem for me.

When I bought my AE-3 it came with some VT-231 (= 6SN7) tubes which I have now replaced with a pair of JAN-CHS-6SN7WGT Sylvania brown base "CHROME TOP" NOS 1955 which I like very much.

I think you are going to be pleased with your AE-3, let us know how you like it once you have a chance to give it a listen.

------------------

Ed W

dbflash, if you happen to think the unit is not agreeable dont forget the note about the Audio 1 caps. Seriously, a lot of guys with these caps in their Cary gear are changing them out for Jensens or Audio Note oils. I had Audio 1 in my Moondogs and the previous owner removed them for Jensens as well. Although I never heard them, this is what he reported to me via his comparison. If you do a search in the Tube Asylum you might find some info on this. Still, they might be fine. I do know that Cary does use the Jensen when requested. Kirk is head of tech there.

Let us know how it sounds.

kh