Tear in speaker surround

Earle Decker

About two years ago I had the same problem. I had traded for a pair of very fine old speakers, vintage 1970. Both speakers had the cloth destroyed and the surrounds gone due to age. I found a place in Springfield Oregon that sold the pieces I needed and was able to get both speakers repaired reasonably. Here's the URL, good luck.

http://www.speakerworks.net/

This message has been edited by Grumpy Old Man on 02-18-2002 at 01:12 PM

Yes, well, perhaps I spoke too soon, it might well be worth some effort to patch. For example, it might be possible to glue on a thin piece of rubber.

The other side of the story is that factory replacement is probably going to be fairly inexpensive and this is not a vintage driver. If the original driver failed in one spot, perhaps it will fail in other places, soon, too.

Gil

Silicone sealer!!! The type you'd use on your fishtank. After sending vintage 'gems' for reconing only to get back crappola, I use this method for almost every tear, rip or suspect spots. Excellent adhesion in tandem with excellent flexibility, The only thing it doesn't do is bridge large holes!

For your 1" slit, smear some on your finger and apply a thin coat to topside and backside. Works equally well for surrounds as for 'cone proper' damage. Let dry overnight and I will bet you you cannot tell the difference from the other unblemished one. I wouldn't use rubber cement for a surround problem.....not enough flexibility and will harden and crack with age. Silicone sealer is timeless!

Good luck

------------------

Ed