Will Vincent's Baldwin or Quickie Horn Monos....

e-newt

for my Fortes? I can get apair of Horn monos (5 yrs old, original owner) or Will Vincent Baldwin monos for about $850 (might be able to get the Baldwins a little cheaper) or I can get a Will vincent stereo Baldwin 6L6 for about $500. All the above are rated at 25wpc. I have several sources: Minimax CD player, Nott SpaceDeck and other stuff. I'd be running it all thru my Aesthetix Calypso linestage or my Audible Illusions preamp, depending on which sounds better. Anybody have experience with comparing these amps? Thanks in Advance, Jeff

I can't comment on any comparisons on the components you mentioned, but I do own Will's stereo Baldwin 6L6 power amp and it's a wonderful sounding piece of equipment! I'm confident Will's modded Baldwin monoblocks are also quite capable of making your Fortes sing, as are the Horn monos with either preamps. There's no easy answer to your question...good luck with whatever component you decide on.

And welcome to the Klipsch Forums![:)]

I also have both the baldwin's in both the stereo version and the mono's. The stereo is sitting on the shelf for the future and or trade bait. Listening to three channels of Baldwin mono blocks. A cornwall center and two khorns for the side channels. Don't notice any difference except the wow factor with all the extra glowing tubes. The mono's also are running with a 6sl7 preamp tube, versus a couple of 12ax7's. The stereo amp will be easier on you pocketbook when feeding it tubes. Then again what do I know. I think I like the sound of my two way klipschorn better than the 3 way khorn with all the modern parts. Good luck. The baldwins are a great amp for the money or for those who don't care about all the chrome on their amps.

It's been awhile since listening to the stereo but I couldn't tell the difference. There's more headroom with the mono's but my ears give out before listening to music that loud. Just use good 6l6 tubes. Leave the chinese for take out dinner.

It's been a long time since listening to the stereo baldwin.... so I grabbed it and did a switchero for you. I just hooked up the stereo baldwin and left all the controls the same on the preamp. Only noticed a slightly smaller volume level with the stereo baldwin that was easily changed. Was using 6l6gc in the mono's and 6l6g's in the stereo, Maybe that was the difference? You won't notice the difference.... believe me.

• 5 weeks later...