Getting your garden ready?

peshewah

My wife is ready to plant potato's and onions. And I'm ready to watch her. There is nothing more relaxing than drinking a cold beer under the shade tree watching her work that garden. She loves playing in the dirt. My job is to get it tiled, so I get on the phone and call "Sam the tiler guy" and he comes out and turns the dirt with his tractor. That put a smile on my wifes face. I help her out when I'm needed. I hope its a good year. Good luck to all gardeners on the forum.

• Moderators

LOL, I love how your job is to get it tilled, so you call Sam the Tiller guy. Classic.

I don't have a garden anymore (the weeds are just too much for me to handle), but I enjoy trying to grow the yard to the best of my ability. It's a yearly struggle that have yet to master.

Yesterday I moved mulch and topsoil off the area that is to become my garden. We took up an old driveway and used it for fill for the shop. The nice topsoil from the shop excavation was returned to the drive area. So if all goes well, I'll have about two feet of prime Indiana topsoil (with some gravel thrown in) for my garden. Been here 5 years, about time I started digging.

I lived on my great-grandparents farm for a number of years before buying 'the city house'. I've got all the tools, even Grandpa's old electric fencer to keep the racoons out of my corn.

It's going to be 60 againg today, time for more back-breaking work, but with the MCM's aimed out the shop doors, it's a joy to be rockin' outside!

M

My wife is a Southeren Minnesota farm girl and she likes to plant things. But there is a big difference between Southeren Missouri dirt(rocks and red clay) and southeren Minnesota dirt. Two foot of good top soil $$$$ big time. It takes a good tiler to turn our dirt. A little Mantus tiler don't last long in our neck of the woods.