Svs 25-31cs

Hipnotic_Tranz

Everybody is talkin' SVS this, SVS that. I've personally never heard of them but they are getting a lot of praise. The SVS 25-31CS is the only one in my price range right now ($400) and I was curious if anybody out there has had any personal experience with this sub and what they thought about it. The quick specs are:

o Power handling, 350 watts RMS. 4 Ohm load.

o 25 Hz tuning point

o +/- 3 dB 25 Hz-100 Hz

o 31" tall, 16" in diameter

The other sub I was looking at, you can see here at PartsExpress. The specs are similar, though the SVS has more power. The system it would be going with is this:

o Klipsch Quintets (x4)

o Klipsch KSC-C1

o Pioneer D509s Reciever

This message has been edited by Hipnotic_Tranz on 02-15-2002 at 05:29 PM

Hip - I'm sure you are aware that you also have to provide your own amplification for the CS SVS subs. If you already have an amp/old receiver you're in great shape. Otherwise, better figure that into the cost.

You know, for only $80 (plus maybe a bit more shipping) more, you could get the 20-39CS, which is kind of a Swiss Army knife of SVS subs. It goes deeper than the 25-31, yet is more musical (I am told) than the bigger SVS. Just a thought...

Doug

------------------

My System

Yep, know you need an amp but my friend has one he might let go pretty cheap. I really don't wanna spend much more than $400. I don't even have that much now Smile.gif I have about $200 and it'll take a couple more weeks to save up the rest (it's hard when you're 16 and the job you have pays $6.25)

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate them.

Hipnotic-

I can't speak directly for the SVS 25-31, but i do own a SVS. There are several points to consider, if you only ever plan on having ONE sub, then get the powered version (PC). As for which sub to purchase, the 20-39 or 25-31...both will probably due very well. IMHO, the 20-39 is the "generic" version for a mix of HT & music. The 25-31 is probably better suited for more music orientated listening.

What everyone raves about SVS for is the sound quality for little $$$. Most cheap subs are BOOOOOOMMMMMYYYYY and sound like it belongs in a car blaring at max volume driving through the hood. The SVS subs are not boomy, yet have great solid sound. If you like the Boomy sound then get the PartsExpress sub (if i had to bet, it will probably give you that sound) The only disadvantage with the SVS, its LARGE in size, so as a 16 year old...this might be of sufficient concern to warrent the Partsexpress sub. (Plus your folks might kick you out of the house due to the the SVS's power)

I have the SVS Ultra (a tad out of your price range but its very simular to the 20-39), it's works seamlessly with my Ref3's and i am VERY happy with it and it works fantastically with music (mostly classical & some Rock) and HT use.

-Dave

------------------

Home Theater