Sub 10

jetboat

Hello all; New to the forum. Hope you can help. About 3 weeks ago I started to upgrade my system. Wanted to go from entry level HTIB. Started with a C2 centre from Klipsh and was hooked. Just purchased the Sub 10. I am going to get the S1's next week and then th F2"s. At that piont I will upgrade the reciever. At present it is a Sony HT-DDW900. Due to economics I have to do this in steps. Back to the problem. I hooked up the sub 10 to the LFE and was not happy with the results. It was either overwelming or non existant. No in between, even when adjusting the gain and lowpass. I decided to try and hook it up using the high level connections. Now with the gain at full there is very little sound coming from the sub. Am I missing something. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

• 3 weeks later...

Make sure you have your mains set to small in your receiver and put the receivers x over at 80 Hz. I can't promise you that this will fix the problem though....

Using high pass wiring and setting your receiver that way will guarantee nothing below 80 Hz gets to the sub. In order to get the full signal out of the receiver he must set his mains to "large". There still won't be any LFE however.

Thanks for all the help. I actually e-mailed Sony (Canada) and really they were absolutly zero help. You cannot set the speakers to large or small on this recieve. I was looking at the new Sony STRDG820. Seems to have a lot of bang for the buck. Has anyone had the chance to use or listen to this unit? Was looking at an Onkyo, however this has true HD. Thanks again

This is the response I got from Sony..... "I'm sorry, the powered subwoofer (Passive) cannot be connected to your Sony Home Theater System. "

I don't understand their reply. A powered subwoofer is considered an "active" sub and a sub enclosure without an amp is considered "passive".

Thanks for all the help. I actually e-mailed Sony (Canada) and really they were absolutly zero help. You cannot set the speakers to large or small on this recieve. I was looking at the new Sony STRDG820. Seems to have a lot of bang for the buck. Has anyone had the chance to use or listen to this unit? Was looking at an Onkyo, however this has true HD. Thanks again

I would steer clear of Sony audio gear. They don't get a lot of love around here. But they do make some great video gear though!

There are a lot of options for "budget" receivers. Check out Pioneer, Yamaha, etc. Also, the used market is a GREAT way to get a lot of gear for not a lot of money...........