SVS help

jbpjr

yeah, i already tried 100Hz, SVS recommended level. shakes the walls.

have used spl meter, don't know if i'm using it properly though. the mcacc seems to do a pretty good job. it sets the center a little louder than the r/l and the sub level not high enough. i leave the center how the mcacc sets it, but i do change the sub level. the receiver usually sets sub level at around -7.0, i move it up to -2.0 or 0.0.

i'm clueless when it comes to calibrating system with spl meter. have always used elite receivers with microphone set-up. the idea is to have the speakers producing identical sound pressure at sitting position, right?

got some info from klipsch tech and was reading thru older discussions in forum, i think the midbass problem is most likely the room.

klipsch tech suggested looking at rt-10d or rt-12d subs.

if you add an additional sub for higher frequencies, how would you split the signal to the two subs? (not with a y-splitter, but say 80Hz - 40Hz to one sub and 40Hz and below to the other)

they would be getting the same crossover point from the receiver, so wouldn't they just produce the same bass?

I think the HSU gets the sub cable run to it and it sends the low bass to your main sub. It has it's own crossover. You might want to check with HSU, but I believe that's how it works. They designed the MBM just for the situation you describe.

As far as the calibration goes, yes, you want all readings from the speakers to be the same at the listening position. I've found that an SPL meter does a better job than most receivers mics, but that's just my experience. Also, if you use the popular Radio shack SPL meter, be sure to use the correction table on the lower frequencies (if you use sine waves).

I'd try to get hold of a laptop and look at the charts from the mcacc. If I'm not mistaken, you should be able to see in-depth graphic representations of your room response. You have a very powerful receiver and spending some time using it to it's full potential might yield the results you're looking for -- increased mid-bass slam. The mcacc seems a bit tricky from what I have read; but after getting a flat calibration, you can bump up the mid-bass in the advanced menus if you spend a little time. The only thing that would make me want to throw money at the situation is if I thought that the kl-650's were just not up to filling the room with punchy mid-bass. If you've been playing with the crossovers and had the SVS covering that range though, it would seem that you might have a big room dip that the auto calibration is not quite correcting fully to your taste. Dig into that receiver dude, it's one of the latest and greatest tweaker lust objects!!

Sure, most top-tier 10s or even multi-driver 8s will produce excellent mid-bass. Look for high SPL. There's a Martin Logan Depth on Audiogon (no affilitation) right now that would probably do what you want perfectly and is alot less $$ than you can probably find the RT-10D for.

the sc-07 is crazy. i don't think i even need a laptop to get graphic display, it displays them on tv. don't really understand what they mean.

i looked at the eq adjustments and the lowest you can adjust speakers is at 125Hz, so don't think that would help. it won't adjust sub signal.

i'm not really technically savy. enjoy good picture and sound, hate process of getting it.

i had to call pioneer tech support to get my blu-ray and receiver working with hdmi, lol.

don't know if i should be messing with the receiver settings.

Yeah, the Mcacc looks more flexible than most but definitely not the most user friendly! LOL Your choices for a good mid-bass sub are large and varied. I mentioned the Martin Logan because they have a long history of excellence and are, like Klipsch, an American company (I could go on about difficult tech support from LG all day). What you seem to need is speed and power in the mid-bass. I'm frankly surprised that the KL-650s are falling short on you. Going with the matching Klipsch Thx Ultra sub can hardly be a bad move either. My situation is opposite of yours, I'm looking for a little more extension in the lower frequencies. My SW-15 can really slam you in the chest but falls off before hitting 25hz. The Martin Logan is probably much cleaner than most (and better looking if that matters), but there are many options out there, like the aforementioned HSU MBM which is tailor made for your exact situation. Decisions, decisions. Nice problem to have though! LOL.

Edit: I see you pulled the trigger, excellent price, I'm sure you'll be happy. Good gear!

SVS sent me this email, see if it helps you out.

The LPF of LFE refers to the upper limit set on the LFE (Low Frequency Effects)
channel (the ".1" in "5.1") by the receiver. This is different from the bass in
the other 5 channels, which the 80Hz crossover is set for. The upper limit of
the LFE channel on a disc can be up to 120Hz by Dolby spec, and none of it is
sent to the other 5 channels, so if the upper limit is set to 80Hz in the AVR
you might lose some bass between 80Hz and 120Hz. No biggie, but I'm not really
sure why they even provide the control in AVRs since it should be left at
120Hz.

As far as the sub's controls go,
they should be set as follows: Phase: 0, gain 1/3-1/2, Crossover: OFF, Room
Comp: LARGE, Subsonic Filter: 20Hz (no ports plugged), Parametric EQ: All 3
controls fully counter-clockwise as pictured. RCA and XLR Hi-Pass settings don't
matter.

cid:image003.png@01C99C40.8FC656B0