rt-10d

jbpjr

what's the best way to connect this sub with another sub?

do you split the signal from the back of the receiver, or does the signal go to the rt-10d first, then to the other sub?

need to know what cables to order.

thanks for the help

using the rt-10d to auto calibrate

That I wasn't aware of......and I don't have any experience with subs that auto-calibrate.

As far as a second sub jumped off the Klipsch getting the auto-calibration info.......that a good question.

has anyone used the rt-10d or rt-12d to control an additional sub.

i'm trying to use the rt-10d for upper frequency bass, and svs for the deep lows.

since i'm wanting the subs to respond to different frequency ranges, i should split the signal from the receiver and run a cable to each sub?

it sounds like if i connect the svs to the rt-10d, what ever range i set the rt-10d for, will be passed onto the svs, defeating the purpose of using the rt-10d as a filler for upper bass? then the svs would loose the real low frequency?

anyone with experience, please help

Use the pre-outs on the RT-10d/RT-12d these are pass thru and will not be affected by the subs crossover, also any receiver setting you use will be for the maximum high everything lower will go to both subs. Using 2 subs is exactly the reason the RT series has pre-outs.

Also the Automatic Room Correction will only affect the Klipsch RT sub not another sub connected to it.

if i read the manual correctly, whatever settings you make to the rt-10d, those settings will be carried to the second sub if it is connected to the rt sub. or is that just when using the auto calibration?

it was my understanding from klipsch that if you connect subs together, rt ARC will affect both subs. settings made on rt sub will transfer to second sub.

i'm hoping that i can program the rt-10 to pick-up the higher frequencies (to get punchy bass), and just let the receiver settings control the svs b/c there is no problem with lows from svs, just no midbass.

so it is still best to run signal thru rt sub first? are you sure that you can make the outputs on the rt sub passive, not affect signal from receiver to svs?

I just re-read the manual on "LINE OUT" and I stand corrected the pre-outs are affected by the "Volume", "EQ", "Lowpass", "Lowpass Slope", "Phase" and "Room Correction". I thought I read before that it was pass thru and it had no affect.

However the crossover will still send lower frequencies to the second sub, it will only filter out the higher frequencies, same as the receivers crossover. I still think the best way to connect the second sub would be through the RT's pre-outs however you might try both and compare for yourself which you like best.

it seems to me that if i fine tune the rt for upper bass, those settings would be passed onto svs.

then i would be solving a mid-upper bass problem, but creating a new problem. the svs wouldn't produce rumble.

might be better to run signal thru svs, then to rt-10d. let svs do it's thing, then let rt-10d auto calibrate with high frequency settings, and hopefully fill in the bass gap i got now.

i already purchased rt-10d.

the rt subs might not be designed for upper bass, but they are adjustable, so you can set them to pick up higher frequencies. also, the auto calibration on the rt might be able to pick-up (and hopefully correct) room acoustic problems that the mcacc on my receiver isn't.

atleast that's why i think klipsch tech suggested i look at the rt subs, but what do i know?

Hopefully any subsonic filter applied by the Klipsch will not be passed through the line outs. This would be a design flaw in my opinion if it is applied to the output that could go to another sub which, as in this case, has greater low frequency extension. I wonder why most receiver manufacturers have abandoned the individually programmable dual sub outs that we saw in the onkyo/integra line from a few years ago? In looking at the manual, there is a section specifically dealing with connecting a second sub so Klipsch obviously put some thought into it. I would recommend following the procedure outlined in the manual and see whether or not the rumble is stolen from the SVS. Connecting through the Klipsch and using the outlined procedure from the manual will be FAR easier than trying to integrate the two subs separately by using a Y-splitter at the receiver.

rt-10d arrived today.

got it hooked up, running from receiver to rt, rt to svs.

just ran the auto calibration, made no other adjustments. put in the incredible hulk. could notice improvement right away.

still going to have to mess with settings on rt, would like a little more upper bass punch, but so far so good.

not sure if it's the calibration, or just smaller woofers in smaller box that made the difference. but the rt complements the svs nicely. it just sounds much smoother. i was concerned that connecting the svs to rt, having LFE signal go thru rt before getting to svs, might have negative impact on sound, take away the really deep lows. not the case, svs still shakes the couch.

went ahead and ordered another rt-10d for bedroom. 799.00 is a great deal for this sub.

thanks for everyones suggestions.