Klipsch/Denon/Cinenova Grande/Velodyne

darrylp

Since my last post I've now completed the upgrade.

I've added a second Velodyne HGS 15 and after much experimentation and despite all the alternative suggestions, I found that positioning the second sub in a mirror position to the first provided the best result.

I'm aware that sub bass is supposedly non-directional and that the wavelength of deep base is supposed to cancel out the positioning idiosyncrasies but nevertheless theres no doubt (in my room) what the best position is.

Secondly, I've added a Cinenova Grande 3 amplifier to the system.

I'm using the Denon 5800 as a pre/processor for the RF-7s and for the RC-7 and the built in Denon amps for the surround and back four RF-3s.

Again while the speakers are very efficient and the 170wpc of the Denon is more than sufficient, there's no doubt that with the monoblocks 300wpc of the Cinenova there's more headroom, the transients are better and the dialogue and sound is even crisper.

Interestingly, after using the system (only used for HT) if you put a hand on the top of the amp, the heat generated by the centre monoblock is far higher than the two fronts (to be expected but nevertheless interesting to observe in practice).

No other upgrade thoughts other than a proper rack.

Regards

Darryl

cwm16.gif

Darryl,

The Earthquake Grande 3 amp you have is one vicious amp,in a good way.Its a more potent version of the ATI 2505(no weakling).

Two Velodyne HGS15's great start,after you'll just ahve to add two HGS18's and you'll be set. Wink.gif

Great system you have

TheEAR(s) Now theears