Subwoofer Recommendation

pikeucsd

Dear All,

I am a relative newbie looking to expand my current speaker setup. I have a Denon AVR 1804 (http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/denon-avr-1804/4505-6466_7-30573842.html) receiver and two Klipsch RP 15 floor standing speakers. I want to add two bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer. I was thinking about getting the Synergy III B-2 speakers but have no clue which Klipsch subwoofer to buy (ie which would be compatible with my receiver). Could you please make some recommendations? I have looked at the Denon receiver and there seems to only be one single jack for the subwoofer. Can this Denon model handle a subwoofer? Thanks for your help in advance.

Welcome to the forum!

One of the best bang-for-the-buck subwoofers Klipsch has ever made is the Synergy Sub-12. It'll work great with your receiver and other speakers.

As far as bookshelves go, you might want to consider one of the Reference series bookshelves since that's the series your other speakers are. RB-51 would be a great choice.

In most receivers, the subwoofer signal is sent via a "pre-out" over a normal RCA type cable. The subwoofers have their own internal amplifiers so that the receiver doesn't have to work extra hard. All of the Klipsch subwoofer options are going to have a line-level input that connects to your receiver's pre-out, so all you need is a long enough RCA cable.

I would like to ditto Wuzzer's recomendation of the Sub-12 and reference bookshelves.

Btw, do you own the RF-15 or the RP-5? The RP series have powered subwoofers built into floorstanders, whereas the RF series are just the normal floorstanding mains. If you have the RP-5, then you'll probably not notice much gain from the Sub-12 and might want to step the subwoofer choice up a notch, but I also wanted to make sure you had the RP setup properly as well (since it should have killer bass).

Thank you all for your insights. I double checked my speakers and I actually have the RF-15 and not RP 5 floorstanding speakers. I'm now looking into the reference series bookshelf speakers. From everything I am being told, I will also look into the Sub 12 subwoofer.

Welcome to the Forums, this site is great! Everyone is friendly and always willing to help.

I;m fairly new to the Klipsch forum but I can honestly say the Sub-12 is a beast. I had a Paradigm PDR-10 before the Sub-12 and the differance is night and day. The Sub 12 goes down to 24hrz and has enouph power to shake pictures on the wall.

The best part is the price, I paid $400 shipped (to Canada)