I need more power....

Nuggits

I purchased a pair of Cherry RF-63's in January and love them to death, however they're still being powered with a stock Harman/Kardon AVR-146.

The Harman/Kardon is rated ~30 watts per channel, and it's perfectly fine for casual listening of music, and watching TV shows, but, for movies, and loud listening of music it kinda just runs out of juice.

I'd like to know, what are some really good amplifiers that offer power, very good tonal qualities, and depth?

I've heard very good things about Outlaw, what do you guys think? As for price range, I'm flexible, as long as it's reasonable. (say no more than $2000) I already have my eyes set on a preamp. Anyways, I would just like to hear some of your suggestions.

Thanks a lot!

I have to say that I really like my Outlaw gear, then again I never heard say the Emotiva amps with my speakers also.

Since this is in the 2-channel forum I take it that you are only looking to amplify the RF-63's? What brand are you considering for the pre, it's good to get an amp that matches well with it. Are you looking for something new or used?

James

Separate pre-amps and power amps from companies like Rotel, Emotiva and Outlaw should work out great for you. Having a separate amp is good because it allows you to change amps as time goes on if you feel the need. If you want you could even use your Harman/Kardon as a pre-amp for now if it has pre-amp outputs and see what an external amp with more watts will do for your system first.

I was looking at the Outlaw 990 as a Preamp. I do agree with the brand matching---though, I've also been hearing some chatter about Emotiva.

Does anyone know how well they perform, and how well they sound, and how well they're able to render even the smallest inaudible melodies? ;)

Separate pre-amps and power amps from companies like Rotel, Emotiva and Outlaw should work out great for you. Having a separate amp is good because it allows you to change amps as time goes on if you feel the need. If you want you could even use your Harman/Kardon as a pre-amp for now if it has pre-amp outputs and see what an external amp with more watts will do for your system first.

That's actually gonna be a problem with the AVR-146 as it has no Pre-Outs :( It's a shame because it's a great amp, but it just needs more power.