Heresy III stereo in 10' x 13' office ... near the left corner of room.

Hello. The good news is that I have a good sized office (bedroom) in my new home ... with two windows on the front wall facing the street ... and now I need to get a sound system for my office. As a high school grad (1974) from Hope Arkansas, my family may disown me unless I buy Heresy III speakers that are made in Hope. For best sound, the speakers need to be equidistant to my desk that will be against the front wall and between the two windows, but I have geometrical questions on whether the Heresy III speakers are do-able.

The bad news is that the left window is about six inches from the left wall ... ... the closet is on the left wall ... and the (bedroom) closet's right doorframe is about six inches from the front wall. The closet has a pair of hinged-doors that fold (along vertical axis) at their midpoint, and the right door will limit how close to the corner that I can place a speaker on the floor. The windows are about three feet wide, and the windows are four feet apart from each other. There is about three feet of front-wallspace to the right of the right window.

The goal is to have maximum sound quality while sitting at the desk. The furthest I can have the speakers would be about 3 feet to the left and right of the desk-chair. Both speakers would be at about a 50-degree angle from the desk-chair as I face the front wall, and the speakers would be about six feet from each other. It is good that the Heresy III speakers come with slant risers ... if placing the speakers on the floor ... but even with these, the center of the speakers would be pointing at my south end (the seat of the chair) and not my north end (my head).

If geometry was the absolute priority ... I would get a pair of RF-10 speakers because they have a very small footprint on the floor ... and their 34" height would be taller than the printer tables (30" height) to the left/right of the desk. My question, is that if I got Heresy speakers, would there be sound issues because they would be so close to the listener and because their focal point to the listener would only be about 20 inches (seat height) above the ground?

At such closeness, should I point the Heresy III speakers directly toward the chair, or point the speakers at the rear wall and directly behind the chair?

Does Klipsch provide stands that are built for the Heresy III speakers ... that would elevate the height of the speakers ... but not significantly increase the footprint on the floor?

Is there a Plan B, on how to get the best sound from Heresy III speakers, based on the geometry described above? Signed, Hope-native in Michigan.

Thanks gentlemen for the advice. If posting goes well, below is a drawing where I could possibly place the speakers on top of printer tables that are 29 inches tall. I'm not sure what the manual says about having the speakers at head-level, where each speaker is about 3 feet from the head, but I wouldn't be playing the music very loud. I don't want the decibals ... I just want quality sound.

Any advice on the posted geometry? One question, would be whether the slanted risers would be practical when placing the Heresy III speakers on tables that are 29" tall.

post-36285-13819464431124_thumb.jpg

Any chance that you can put them on the full 10' wall to the right of the desk? With the risers you should be fine with them in that location.

Some have stated that if you elevate the Heresy that you will lose some bottom end but really you have a solid base still under them, the top of the printer stand.

It could be the only way to figure it out is to purchase them and see how YOU like them in that location.

Good luck.

James

Does the desk have to go in exactly that position?

I have my desk in the 'open' in my home office, imagine your desk with the left end against the window wall, your back to the closet door. Now you're facing that 10' wall and your Heresies could reside there on short risers (milk crates). That's exactly how my system is, except I have forte II's that fire slightly over the desk and present a magnificent stereo image.

You'll still have a view out both windows, the floor vent will be uncovered, it really takes no more floor space.

Michael

Thanks for input, jamesV and Michael.

I currently have a bunch of stackable prefab-shelving units on the right wall, with only 10 inches of available right-wall space at both corners of the right wall. But your suggestion to place the H-3 speakers on the room's right corners is a possibility ... when I get a proper and (not as wide) bookshelf for the right wall ... and the speakers' riser slants on the floor might possibly have the focal point fairly close to sitting height in the center of the room.

The printer tables in the diagram are made of pine, and weigh maybe 28 pounds apiece. Is there any vibration or reverberation issue with having such large woofers on a fairly low-density table, as far as the speakers vibrating off the table? As far as the concern that jamesV brought up, about elevating the height of the speakers ... are there better things for elevating the H-3 speakers ... than a low-density pine table that is 29 inches tall ... and is there a recommended elevation-height not to exceed for sound quality purposes? PS: I remember back in high school, I watched the movie "Earthquake" (1974 with Charlton Heston), in a room that had a pair of Klipschorn speakers. We kicked the volume up, and the low bass frequency from the movie had items (especially glass items like ash trays) vibrating around and moving in the room.

One problem I've had with three way speakers that are that close is that at times I would hear one driver predominately over the other 2, depending which one is closest to ear level. The farther away they are from your ears, the more the drivers blend together, if that makes sense.

With 28 pound printer tables you should be fine but you might experience some vibration at higher volumes. All in all it's hard to say what will happen at that height with the items mentioned but if it doesn't work out for you then you can always try them on the floor.

James

I really don't think that using Heresies as 'near field monitors' or wearing them like giant headphones will give a good listening experience. They should really be allowed to open up a bit to the room so the sound from the three drivers (EDIT- the woofer, mid and tweeter from each of the TWO Heresies) melds together before it reaches your ear. With such proximity as you suggest, any slight movement of your position will drastically alter the sound field, not good.

But try it and see if you'd like.

M

Thanks everyone. I agree with your logic about placing the H-3 speakers on the floor (maybe with milk crates or something) at the corners of the right wall. For the next few questions that follow, assume that the H-3 speakers will be positioned in the corners of the right wall shown in the diagram above.

There are not that many Klipsch dealers near the Motor City area, with the closest one located in Novi (I live in Livonia). Although not etched in stone, I would prefer to buy all my products from the Novi dealer, to have dealer support.

I see that the H-3 speakers have a "power rating" of 100 Watts max continuous [400W peak]. As far as accessories for my H-3 speakers, is it a given that an amplifier is needed? I do not plan to play the speakers at high volumes, but I do want the best sound potential from the speakers at low to moderate volumes. A generic question would be ... on the average ... how much wattage would each speaker require?

For example, the Novi dealer carries Yamaha stereo receivers, so he should stock the Yamaha RX-397 [radio] stereo speaker. The RX-397 has an "RMS Output Power" of "50W x 2": (1) Does this receiver's rating mean that it could supply each of my two H-3 speakers with 50 Watts? (2) Does the receiver's rating mean that it provides insufficient rating (50W x 2) for the H-3's rating of 100 Watts max continuous? (3) Does this mean that I would not get the full quality of the H-3 sound ... if I just connect the H-3 speakers to a (50W x 2) receiver ... without an amplifier? (4) Would a stereo receiver ... with a power rating of 75W x 2 or 100W x 2 ... provide all the power needed to aquire the best low volume sound from the H-3 speakers ... without an amplifier?

Buying local is a great option and a good way to get a little discount on items...

I just seen that Outlaw Audio has their stereo receiver on sale, it might be something to look at. I have Outlaw gear for my HT and I love it. Others have said that they like the mentioned receiver with Klipsch. I believe forum member Silversport has this receiver and likes it.

As for ratings it all depends, they are different from company to company. So a 50watt receiver from Yamaha isn't going to be the same from a 50watt Sony. One thing to remember is that you are really only going to use a few watts of that 50 or 75 or 100. The thing you want, is to have those watts clean from a good source. I know you are going to listen at a moderate levels but there will be times that you want to crank it up and that is were the extra clean watts come in handy. How much are you looking to spend on the receiver? Do you need certain connections for other gear?

James

My bad. You are right about other gear, James. At a minimum, my system would require an FM stereo receiver, and a Compact Disc player ... and since Michael brought up a good point ... a center speaker.

I am starting to favor the purchase of an SACD (super audio Compact Disc) player, but I have no idea of the power ouput required for an SACD

So, a more specific question could be: Is there a preferred amplifier that will provide the best quality for a small room (10' x 14') ... to funnel the output from an FM stereo receiver and a SACD ... to the H-3 speakers and a center speaker.

I suppose my price range would be fairly liberal, based on the sale of my old house next week. One combination that looks good ... with a fairly liberal price range that goes with them ... is Yamaha's A-S1000 amplifier and CD-S1000 SACD. I have no knowledge of amps, and have never had one. But as far as SACD units go, I have been reading good reviews of the CD-S1000. The more I Google the CD-S1000, the more complementing comments I see about its associated A-S1000.

One thing that is confusing about the CD-S1000, which leads me back to Michael's recommendation about a center speaker to go with the H-3 speakers: The internet indicates that the Yamaha CD-S1000 SACD operates only in "stereo only". I believe what this is implying is that the SACD disks are not written to output quad-sound ... or perhaps the term is multi-channel sound ... am I using the proper terminology? If this belief is correct, and the CD-S1000 can only operate in "stereo only" ... does this mean that a center Klipsch speaker would be redundant with a "stereo only" CD-S1000?

Sorry, CECAA850, I replied before reading your question about subwoofers. No, I have not given this any thought at the moment, being focused on the power supply and the question of CD-S1000 being able to accommodate a center speaker. I'll follow-up to your question on another day, and thanks.

And to go along with Michael's comment about center speakers, and his Forte II: If it can be determined that the CD-S1000 can accommodate a center speaker, which Klipsch center speaker would go good with the H-3 speakers? For a small room, shouldn't the center speaker be fairly small compared to the H-3 woofers, to not overpower the H-3 speakers? But how can we first determine if the CD-S1000 would benefit with the use of a center speaker?

PS: why did Klipsch discontinue the Forte II?

woah, I didn't say anything about a center speaker, let's not complicate things. Just get those two in the right spots and call it a day.

You can still enjoy the better resolution of SACD without listening in multi-channel. Keep it simple. If we can't get two speakers in the right place, we sure don't stand a chance with three or five!

M

10-4, Good Buddy. I'll go take a look at the dealership this weekend, for a pair of H-3 speakers and an FM stereo receiver. Baby Steppin' Stereo to begin with. Then follow-up to consideration of center speaker, perhaps after I get the right-wall bookshelf. Will keep you posted, and good point, Michael. [H]

A preliminary question ... assuming I pursue a center speaker down the road. And the reason for asking would be knowledge before buying a bookshelf: Is it critical how high off the floor the center speaker should be?