Surrounds for RF-7 (New, not used)

toddvj

I had the RS3 II for 6 years and I thought the RF 3 series was the best bang for the buck ( I still do). About a year ago I came a cross a good deal on a pair of RS 52 . I was not planing on upgrading the surround speakers but what the heck and man I'm glad I did buy those speakers

The RS 3 are gone and I have now a set of RS 42, 52 and 62. Those speakers are something else, much better

okay i will try to explain my specific case. my couch is curved and the closet point is only 30" from the back wall. the rear speakers are 4.5' from their position to where i would be sitting.

i (with help from Falcon) played some movie tracks with rb-61's and rs-52's. what we noticed is since the 52's were very close, during a "direct firing scene" (gun shot, fly over, etc) the sound came from a pinpointed spot. it was not sprayed against the entire wall as some might think. again the rs-52's are very close to me.

during scenes that there was traveling sound, (chase scenes, sound effects, etc) the 4 rs series speakers created a very nice "bubble" effect of surround sound. at times it seemed like there was 2 more speakers between surround and rear speaker. the rs series truly out played the rb series hands down. the rb series did the direct sound effects ok, but couldn't compete with the surround effects. they would simply fire over our heads.

we ran several different scenes, played those scenes several times until we were comfortable making statements like i have.

i am not saying one if better to get over the other, i am how ever suggesting a good starting point if you plan on getting a 7.1 set up. in the end it's up to the listener to make a decision but we know money is tight and might not be able to buy 4 different sets of speakers and try them all out.

i hope this clears it up a bit.