Surrounds for RF-7 (New, not used)

toddvj

If these are your only rears stay away from the sound-sprayers and get monopoles. Your best bet is a set of RB-75 if you can source an NOS pair. Something from the new line up may work since timbre' is a bit less critical in the rear.

If these are your only rears stay away from the sound-sprayers and get monopoles. Your best bet is a set of RB-75 if you can source an NOS pair. Something from the new line up may work since timbre' is a bit less critical in the rear.

I totally agree if you are listening predominately to multi-channel music. For movies, "sound-sprayers" are the way to go. YMMV

Which speakers of the surround sound, 4 & 5 or 6 & 7?

I have to agree with Cecaa that RB for more music and RS for movies. You can get any of the new ones but what price limit do you have?

James

I wouldn't recommend bookshelves for surround duty.......

Why is that?

I could be wrong about this, but weren't dispersion speakers created to be used for rooms that wouldn't really allow for correct placement of surrounds.

I thought it was always best to use direct firing speakers for surrounds when your room allowed for it.

I could be wrong about this, but weren't dispersion speakers created to be used for rooms that wouldn't really allow for correct placement of surrounds.

That's the first time I've ever heard that. WDS is used to create ambient AND localized sound found on movie soundtracks. For example, I can hear distinctly when a gunshot comes from a specific surround speaker, yet they also create an awesome room filling rain shower or immerse you in concert applause.

I totally agree if you are listening predominately to multi-channel music. For movies, "sound-sprayers" are the way to go. YMMV

I agree, much better for home theater and I prefer my music in 2 channel.

That is it ! I never understood why you would use bookshelves for the rear.

You are either using WSTD speakers with 5.1/ 6.1 dobly digital signals for movies or if you want to use the system for music and you still want all around speakers to fill teh room, do yourself a favor and have matching speakers in the front and the back. Anything less is pointless.

here's something a little off topic....out of all the movies in the world.....the wife bought the Dirty Dancing 25th anniversary dvd. i was looking at the back cover and i noticed something i wouldn't have ever imagined.....they redid the movie in 6.1 sound! out of all the action, sci-fi movies, that are 5.1 the producers of DD had to one up them and recode to 6.1. to me such a waste!

anyways....

to agree.....

if you want to listen to more "all channel stereo" have RB or even RF speakers for surrounds

if you want to watch more movies have RS for SIDES, and possible RB for REARS. (if rear wall is greater than 4' from you)

if you watch more movies and your back wall if less than 4' from you, try having all RS for surrounds.

these are just suggested STARTING POINTS. of course once you hook everything up, and you don't like how it sounds, swap them out. i was fortunate enough to have a Klipsch buddy (Falcon) come over and bring his rs-52's and we swapped them out for my rb-61's. the difference was amazing. for me it was better having all rs-42's for movies. i like how the entire house sounds in all channel stereo too!

Having only the sound sprayers for your primary rears for either movies or music is your preference but having echoey wide dispertion speakers as your primary surrounds is not the way it's supposed to work!

Ever look at the walls in your local theaters lately at all? I can assure you that you won't find sound sprayers in there but an array of monoples. To each his own I guess if that is what you like. Me I will stick to my 4 Cornwalls in the rear that will easily outperform 4 sound sprayers from any series.

My preamp will upramp any 5.1 signal to the 7.1 signal so all 4 Corns are always active I would not have it any other way.

Having only the sound sprayers for your primary rears for either movies or music is your preference but having echoey wide dispertion speakers as your primary surrounds is not the way it's supposed to work!

Ever look at the walls in your local theaters lately at all?  I can assure you that you won't find sound sprayers in there but an array of monoples.  To each his own I guess if that is what you like.  Me I will stick to my 4 Cornwalls in the rear that will easily outperform 4 sound sprayers from any series. 

My preamp will upramp any 5.1 signal to the 7.1 signal so all 4 Corns are always active I would not have it any other way. 

You might have been correct in the pass but it is not the case anymore with the new WSDT reference series such the RS 62. I assure you there is nothing echoey about those. Anyway, You really can't compare a cornwall to a WSDt type of speaker. ( this statement only applies for movies watching set up)

It would be like telling you your 4 cornwalls are nice but I will stick with my 4 K-horns or my 4 mwm.

What's the difference between the new WSDT speakers and the older dispersion speakers?

I guess I just don't understand how a dispersion speaker can spread sound, but give direct sound at the same time. Localization has to be sacrificed for distribution of sound?

Aren't the surround soundtracks on dvd's made or designed for direct sound playback. To be played from a specific location, not sprayed across the side or back walls?

It still seems to me that if your room layout will allow for it, direct firing bookshelves or floorstanders for all four rear channels is the way to go.

but having echoey wide dispertion speakers

Can you elaborate on this for us?

Why do all WDST speakers sound echoey, that has to do with setup and location not the speakers.

Plus without any feed back from the person that started this thread it is hard to tell what he is trying to do and accomplish.

James

Wow, I wasn't trying to start a fight about monopoles vs.
WDST/bipole/dipoles. I have RS-3s now, which I'm happy with. I was
thinking about upgrading to 7.1 (I had 7.1 years ago, but scaled
back). I never upgraded to RS-7s because of the price. I've been
watching ebay, but the prices for both RS-7s and RS-3s are out of line
for a used speaker.

So I was thinking about going to the new RS
series speakers and was wondering what people would recommend. Folks
have said that RS-42 or 62 would be okay, so I'll probably look into
those.

I used to work at an electronics store, so it kills me
to pay retail prices for speakers. I've still got some friends in the
industry that will give me the hook-up. So for me, I can probably get
a better deal on new surrounds than buying them used.

Thanks everyone for the help.

And if I may:

Ever look at the walls in your local
theaters lately at all? I can assure you that you won't find sound
sprayers in there but an array of monoples. To each his own I guess if
that is what you like. Me I will stick to my 4 Cornwalls in the rear
that will easily outperform 4 sound sprayers from any series.

You are right, you don't see "sound sprayers" in movie theaters, but
you do see a lot more than just 2 or 4 surround speakers. I'm pretty sure that is how the whole bi/dipole/WDST concept came about, trying to reproduce that effect.