A first for me: Bought already recapped speakers (Cornwalls)

Aufwuchs

A friend of mine here in Houston turned me on to a pair of 1975 Cornwalls that he had seen at a local estate sale. I purchased them on Sunday, as I was waiting for discount day. The previous owner was an obvious music/gear lover, because although everything but the Klipsch and a pair of EPI 100 speakers had been purchased by the time I got there, the estate sale photos showed a Rega turntable (I think), as well as several other nice pieces of equipment. Anyway, after I got them home, I took the backs off so that I could check the capacitor values and decide if I wanted to replace them, or buy new Crites crossovers. To my surprise the crossovers had already been recapped with film (I think) caps. The larger value cap was an Electrocube 400VDC and the smaller was an unlabeled white cap. Anyway, the point is that I have never had this happen before, and I feel gratified that I was able to purchase these speakers from the estate of someone who obviously really cared for them. I may still buy the Crites crossovers, however. I think the original owner would approve.

The most obvious difference in the the bass department. The Forete II may have tighter, arguably more accurate bass, but the Cornwall has a whole heck of a lot of bass. As far as the mids and uppers, they are certainly both Klipsch products and sound similar. I think that the Forte has a more prominent midrange, which is great for vocals. The Cornwall midrange is more attenuated and seems to be placed farther back. The Forte had more narrow imaging, I think, whereas the Corwall has a really wide soundstage. All of these opinions are based on stock, early 90's vintage Fortes, and the Cornwalls with unknown capacitor replacement at an unknown time in the past. Overall, I guess the Fortes sound a bit more like a modern speaker (which they are), and the Cornwalls sound more seductive. Hows that for a non-audiophile description? Oh, I listen using a NOSValves restored Fisher KX-100 amp, Thorens TD-125/Ortofon X3-MC turntable, and Carver SD/A-490t tube CD player.